Election Results Out

Instead of hanging chads after this fall’s ASUCI elections, there was a hanging Sally, Mark and Kevin after polls closed on Thursday, Nov. 18.

Sally Yu, Mark Enverga and Kevin Phan all received 76 votes in the biological sciences representative race, resulting in a planned run-off election during Dec. 1 and 2. However, Phan has since dropped out of the elections voluntarily, resulting in Yu and Enverga being named the biological science representatives.

“I dropped out because I got a job offer to be a teacher assistant for Bio Sci 100 (Scientific Writing) and since I have to attend lecture for that class and the lecture times conflict with legislative council meetings, I had to choose one over the other,” Phan said. “I interviewed for the TA position last month but I didn’t hear back until Wednesday … I wish I could do both though, since I put a bit of time in campaigning.”

Incumbent Crystal Luu and ASUCI veteran Henry Wang won the at-large representative elections, with Luu the top vote-getter by a large margin with 702 votes. She has held the at-large representative position this quarter as a replacement appointment for the previous representative, who graduated.

“It was pretty awesome to [be the top vote-getter],” Luu said. “I think it paid off to actually campaign, start marketing myself really early, and to have such a great support system from friends and connections on campus.”

Even though this is Luu’s first quarter in ASUCI, she has been heavily involved in organizations like SPOP, Circle K, the UCI Center for Service in Action and the Dean’s Office. Her goals involve marketing legislative council, advocating for campus club organization needs and building fellow leaders on campus.

“[Being at-large representative means] having the power to make changes to the campus for the better of the students,” Luu said. “Representing is leading by example and being a leader that shows compassion, love and genuine care for others. That’s what representation means to me: embodying the majority, voicing the need of the majority and implementing actions for the majority.”

Wang narrowly beat out third-place finisher Jonathan Chow, squeaking out eight more votes, 228 to 220, over Chow.

“To be honest, I just declared candidacy without much expectation,” Wang said. “I didn’t have any posters on Ring Road nor did I spend any money on my campaign. At the end, I was surprised that I won. That meant a lot to me because the results showed that the student body still wants me to represent them on council.”

Wang, who also was the at-large representative for 2009-2010, said that he came back largely because he had unfinished business to “take care of.”

“I am looking to follow through on some of the progresses we have made last year; publicizing student/professor ID photos on eee.uci.edu and more importantly, publicizing teacher’s evaluations on Websoc,” Wang said.

Lisa Lei was the leading vote-getter among the school representatives, receiving 108 votes to earn the social sciences representative position. A second-year political science major, Lei emphasizes her willingness to take a stand for the students, being involved in the protest at UCLA last year in response to the 32 percent fee hike. She defeated second-place finisher Fernando E. Garcia, who is currently an Ex-Officio member of Legislative Council for M.E.Ch.A de UCI, by 14 votes.

Experience prevailed again for current Engineering Representative Vikram Nayudu, who easily won re-election in the engineering vote. Nayudu’s respect among the council is evident, as he was voted to be speaker pro tempore this year. He also is the rules chairman, and is in the Communications Commission under the Office of the President.

However, there will be a few new faces on legislative council. Second-year Mirage Mehta represents a new face to ASUCI, as he defeated first-year Raymond Delacruz for business representative. Likewise for Physical Sciences Representative, second-year Jack Pan defeated first-year Tarun Patel. In social ecology, newcomer Rob Haghighi parlayed his Career Center experience to a winning campaign over Bryan Santana, who was trying to gain more influence from his intern position in the Student Programming Funding Board.

Vileana De La Rosa, who boasts a wealth of experience with M.E.Ch.A and the ASUCI Executive Vice President Office, is the new humanities representative after running unopposed. She pledges to support “the quality, accessibility, and affordability of a UC education.” Second-year drama major Arnel Sancianco is the new arts representative after earning a whopping 13 votes, running unopposed. Sancianco is focused on bringing the arts to Ring Road in a larger effort to make the arts more relevant on campus.

With a total vote of 1,747, the fall ASUCI elections had a markedly lesser impact on campus then the spring elections. While Wang confessed that he did not really know why ASUCI held two different elections over the year, he speculated that there were some open seats “due to graduating seniors or members who resign in the Spring Quarter.” However, Publicity and Elections Commissioner Carissa Cruz declared the student turnout a success, especially promoting a voting booth on Ring Road that ASUCI hosted on Nov. 17.

“This novel and innovative idea is an actualized campaign … to engage the student body in participating in their student government politics,” Cruz said. “[On Nov. 17], we hosted a special performance by B-Boys Anonymous at the flagpoles to encourage students to come out, watch the show, and visit our booth and vote. The Fall Elections and the booths have been a great turnout, and will serve as an outline by which to model the Spring Elections after.”

Unlike previous elections, there were no major complaints filed by candidates, with the only one filed dismissed by ASUCI because it did not address a major violation. The other anomaly, the runoff, which had not happened in over a decade according to Cruz, resolved by Phan’s decision before runoffs even occurred.