News In Brief

Kiosk Launch for LJ’s Annual Magazine

This Wednesday, the literary journalism department will celebrate the launch of the 2010-2011 issue of Kiosk: A Magazine of Literary Journalism. Kiosk is an annual magazine that is available online only and highlights some of the best writing from the literary journalism program.

The launch event will take place on Dec. 1 at 5 p.m. at the UCI bookstore, and will feature readings by four of this year’s Kiosk authors: fourth-year literary journalism major Jason Davis, UCI alumni Khassaundra Delgado, Janelle Flores and Hong Kong Tran. The event is free and open to the public and light refreshments will be provided.

Kiosk’s editorial board is comprised of nine students and led by Patricia Pierson, assistant director of the Literary Journalism program.

For more information about Kiosk, visit http://www.humanities.uci.edu/kiosk.

UCI Prof  Wins Neuroscience Award

Last week, UCI distinguished Professor of neurobiology and behavior, Dr. Ricardo Miledi, was awarded the Ralph W. Gerard Prize from the Society for Neuroscience.

The $25,000 award was granted to honor his achievements in his 50 years of work in the field. Among his accomplishments was the discovery of the plasticity of the neurotransmitters in the nervous system, which helped to lay the groundwork for future studies of the synaptic functions in learning and memory.

The prize was named for Ralph W. Gerard, a key leader in founding the Society for Neuroscience.

iShuttle Funded by OCTA

Irvine’s city-operated iShuttle program will now be largely funded by Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) until 2040.

The iShuttle program connects the Tustin Metrolink station and the Irvine Business Complex, and eventually will expand its service to the Irvine Spectrum. iShuttle began in 2008, and has been criticized as a waste of funding due to its low usage by the OC community. However, city officials believe that with further expansion the system can help Orange County become less car-reliant in the future.

According to the city, the bus logged 7,431 boardings in September and 7,537 boardings in October.

AB 540 Press Conference Held this Past Tues.

California Lieutenant Governor Maldonado held a live press teleconference on Tuesday, Nov. 23 regarding the California Supreme Court’s recent seven-to-zero vote upholding AB 540.

Lieutenant Governor Maldonado was joined by Fresno State University Student Body President Pedro Ramirez.

The bill, which Maldonado co-authored with late Assemblyman Marco Firebaugh allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at California’s public universities. The undocumented students are not eligible for financial aid.

Weather

Los Angeles County was hit by record cold temperatures this weekend with some areas falling into the high 20s.

Orange County was much more mild, with the average temperature in the mid-40s.

Many mountain areas saw snow and rainfall.

This weekend’s cold weather follows on the heels of the back-to-back storms that swept into Southern California on Nov. 20-21.