On the Rebound

Sofia Panuelos | Staff Photographer

UCI 68 SDSU 66

After opening the season with a three-game losing streak, the Anteaters bounced back in dramatic fashion. UCI played the San Diego State Aztecs on Nov. 23, notching their first win by holding on to a two-point lead with less than two minutes to play in the game.

Junior forward Mikah Maly-Karros led with 20 points and added a season high of 14 rebounds. Senior Jade Smith-Williams helped the cause by adding another 19 points, recording a team high of five assists and shooting 6-for-8 from the free throw line.

Despite committing five more turnovers and recording three less steals, the Lady Anteaters held a seven point lead at half. UCI overcame a first-half turnover deficit by holding the Aztecs to 38 percent from the field, including 0-5 from three-pointers and out-rebounding them 23-18.
In the second half, the Aztecs came out with more intensity, outscoring the Anteaters 24-18. The Anteaters shot 10-for-33 from the field and failed to hit a single shot from the three-point line. The Anteaters held off an SDSU second half surge by hitting three of four free throws in the late stage of the game.

The Aztecs hustled the Lady Anteaters in almost every aspect of the game. SDSU scored ten more points in the paint, recorded three more second-chance points and notched 12 more fast-break points than the Anteaters. But this did not stop the Anteaters from escaping with a two-point victory.

UCI 66 Northern Colorado 52

The Anteaters returned to the Bren on Nov. 26 in their home opener against the Northern Colorado Bears. UCI stumbled out of the gate and lost their first three games but, with a 66-52 victory against UNC, pieced together a two-game winning streak.

Maly-Karros led the Anteaters to victory as she recorded her third triple-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds. The junior forward shot a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line. Kiara Belen notched her career high with 16 points, while sophomore forward Jazmyne White also totaled a career high with 14 points.

The ’Eaters shot a season high from the free throw line, making 83 percent of the shots. UCI also shot 38 percent from the field, the second-highest shooting percentage for the Anteaters this season.

On defense, the Anteaters hounded the Bears. The Anteaters forced a season high of 23 turnovers and out-rebounded UNC, 37 to 35. In the first half, the Anteaters held the Bears to 29 percent from the field.

With the win, the Anteaters stand at 2-3 on the season. They will take on Pepperdine University on Wednesday, Dec. 1 and Portland Sate on Saturday, Dec. 4.