Sports In Brief

Basketball Defeats Marist, Evening Their Record at 3-3

On Saturday, Nov. 27, the men’s basketball team traveled to New York to face Marist College. Junior guard Derrick Strings led the attack as he recorded a career high of 17 points in a 77-56 UC Irvine victory.

The majority of Strings’ 17 points came in the final 11 minutes of the first half as he hit four out of six 3-pointers. Senior guard Darren Moore notched 15 points, four rebounds and four steals, while senior Patrick Rembert added another 12 points, four assists and two steals.

Men’s Water Polo Competes in MPSF Championship

On Friday, Nov. 26, the No. 5 seed Anteaters took on No. 4 Stanford Cardinal. After building a 4-1 lead in the opening quarter, the ’Eaters fell apart, losing 8-7. Seniors Brandon Johnson and Griffin Lerman led the Anteaters with two goals apiece. Senior goalie Matt Johnson recorded six saves in the losing effort.

After a heartbreaking loss to Stanford, the Anteaters returned to the pool on Saturday, Nov. 27 to face the Pepperdine Waves. Once again, the Anteaters jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter. This time the Anteaters held on by keeping their foot on the throttle, scoring six goals to Pepperdine’s single goal in the second quarter. UCI defeated the Waves, 13-7.
On Nov. 28, UCI defeated UCSB, 16-12. With the win the Anteaters finished fifth in the MPSF Championship and fiinished their season with a 19-9 record.