72

Lady Anteaters Defeat UCR in Big West opener; Match Last Season’s Win Total

The Lady Anteaters have won nine of their last 10 matchups dating back to Nov. 23 when they upset San Diego State, 68-66. With their lone loss coming to Eastern Washington on Dec. 15, UC Irvine beat Seattle University, Loyola Marymount, Portland and UC Riverside over the academic winter break.

They’ve won convincingly, defeating opponents by a margin of 11.89 points per game in their victories since taking down the Aztecs.

The 9-4 Anteaters have already matched their win total from the entire 2009-2010 season, when they finished 9-21. UCI defeated the Highlanders at UC Riverside 53-46 on Dec. 31 in their Big West opener. The win was the first triumph over the Highlanders after eight straight losses to UCR.

Senior guard Jade Smith-Williams scored a season-high 28 points, while junior forward Mikah Maly-Karros notched her Big West leading eighth double-double with 10 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks. Maly-Karros is currently averaging a team-high 18.9 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.

Women’s Tennis Signs Promising Northern California Twins to Letter of Intent

On Dec. 9, the UCI women’s tennis team announced that they had secured Ponderosa High School’s Alexandra and Katarina Facey to national letters of intent. Katarina is ranked second in the Girls 18’s Northern California region, while Alexandra ranks eighth.

As a doubles powerhouse throughout their teens, the Facey sisters are ranked No. 1 in the Girls 18’s Northern California region. Throughout the years, they have been the top-ranked NorCal doubles team at ages 10, 14 and 16.

Walker and Goodson Both Named to Soccer America MVPs Second Team

Both the men’s and women’s soccer team’s had representatives on this year’s edition of Soccer America MVPs second team. Senior Amani Walker, who was recently named the Big West Co-Offensive Player of the Year, collected 24 points on 11 goals and two assists.

Junior defender CoCo Goodson was also awarded the Soccer America MVPs second team for women’s soccer. She led the Big West with five game-winning goals in 2010, scoring nine overall and totaling 18 points. As the Big West Defender of the Year, she also helped the team secure 11 shutouts throughout their 19-3-2 season.