News in Brief

Not Just a Social Networking Site …

The Huntington Beach Police Department is utilizing Facebook and Twitter to help solve a 43-year-old case.

The HBPD posted a composite drawing of a woman who was found face down in a drainage ditch at the corner of Newland Street and Yorktown Avenue in 1968. The victim, who had been beaten, sexually assaulted and had her throat slashed, was never identified.

The case was worked on for a year and reopened several times after. Leads began to emerge only a few hours after HBPD posted the composite photo along with photos of a white purse and the black-and-white photos inside it.

After speaking to several residents who responded the photo postings, HBPD has decided that the purse and photo in it did not belong to the victim, who remains a Jane Doe.

Brown Says, “Hasta La Vista, Budget.”

Governor Jerry Brown hopes to step into the first portion of his term with guns blazing.

In order to rein in the state’s budget shortfalls, Governor Brown hopes to convince Sacramento lawmakers and the public to cut funding for a broad array of state programs and services, and to hike up taxes on income, purchases and vehicles.

Brown hopes to cut expenditures on universities, cash grants for low-income people and reduce government spending on insurance, health care and childcare for state employees.

In a state capitol not known for sacrifice and compromise, Governor Brown is hoping to quickly ram the budget through the legislative process like a dose of bad medicine, pushing the budget through within 60 days rather than the few months it usually takes. He, however, faces opposition from all sides. His proposed cuts to a variety of social welfare programs, and his proposal to raise taxes are angering Democrats and Republicans alike. Powerful lobbyists in Sacramento such as the labor unions are already voicing their unease about some of Brown’s proposed cuts to the budget.

Governor Brown remains hopeful that his plan will succeed if implemented through quick and decisive action. In the meantime, he hopes to lead by example, having slashed his own office’s budget by 25 percent.

UCI Ranked 17th for Affordability

“Kiplinger’s Personal Finance” ranked UCI 17th nationally on a list of 100 universities for quality and affordability, moving up three places from 20th last year.

Rankings were based on analysis of academics and affordability, looking at tuition rates, admission and retention rates, SAT and ACT scores and student-faculty ratios.