Sports in Brief

Men’s Volleyball Places Fifth at UCSB Invitational

Despite being named as the top-ranked team in the nation in the preseason rankings, UC Irvine’s men’s volleyball team was upset by Cal Baptist University on Jan. 5, 3-2 in their season opener. The Anteaters then dropped their second straight to Long Beach State in four sets on Jan. 7, before avenging their previous loss to Cal Baptist in the second half of the double-header on Friday night. The four-set win against Cal Baptist on Friday evening was followed up by a four-set Saturday victory over Cal State Northridge, which clinched the Anteaters’ fifth place finish in the UCSB Gaucho Invitational.

Senior outside hitter Cory Yoder led the cause in the tournament finale. Yoder collected 14 kills and eight digs, while junior Kevin Carroll added 13 kills and six digs. Playing against his older brother, Matt, freshman setter Daniel Stork got the best of the sibling rivalry, totaling 44 set assists, two blocks and two aces. At 2-2, UCI will face UC San Diego and UC Santa Barbara at home this week.

Anteaters’ Win Total Reaches Double-Digits

Last season, the Lady Anteaters won just nine games, but with 14 remaining games on the schedule, the UC Irvine women’s basketball team surpassed their previous mark with their 10th win of the season on Wednesday in a five-point victory over Cal State Fullerton.

Senior Jade Smith-Williams and junior forward Mikah Maly-Karros are averaging double-digit point totals, and Maly-Karros has impressed on the boards as well, averaging 10.1 rebounds per game. After convincingly defeating Long Beach State on Saturday, the Anteaters extended their Big West record to 3-0.