Sports in Brief

Taylor Drafted by the WPS’ Boston Breakers
The women’s soccer team’s senior Tanya Taylor was selected as the final pick in the third annual Women’s Professional Soccer draft by the Boston Breakers. A fourth rounder, Taylor becomes the first UC Irvine women’s soccer player ever drafted to professional soccer. Taylor, the Big West Conference player of the year, was the only Big West player taken in the draft after scoring 11 goals and a school record 12 assists in her senior campaign.

Alisha Misiaita  wins Shot Put in Team’s First Match
Senior Alisha Misiaita won the shot put competition in the women’s indoor track team’s first event at the New Mexico Lobo Open on Jan. 15. Misiaita defeated the second place finisher, teammate Christa Kondru, by eight feet. The women’s indoor track team will compete next on Jan. 28-29 at the University of Washington Invitational in Seattle.

Men’s Basketball Splites Big West Road Trip
UC Irvine men’s basketball team lost to UC Santa Barbara on Thursday night, 71-58. Shooting just 30 percent in the second half, the ’Eaters fell to 1-3 in conference. Junior forward Eric Wise recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds, while sophomores Daman Starring and Mike Wilder added 11 points apiece.
On Saturday night, the Anteaters defeated the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustangs 65-53. The victory moved UCI to 8-10 on the season and 2-3 in conference. Senior Darren Moore scored 25 points, brought down eight rebounds and swiped a career-high five steals. Wise notched his fourth double-double of the season with 13 points and 12 rebounds and Wilder scored 11 points and picked up two steals. On Jan. 19, Irvine takes on Cal State Bakersfield on the road, before facing rival Long Beach State University at home on Saturday Jan. 22.

Piggott, Pestolesi Train With U.S. National Team
The women’s volleyball team’s senior outside hitters Juliane Piggott and Kari Pestolesi have been selected as two of 12 players to train with the U.S. women’s national team in Anaheim from Jan. 17 through mid-April at the American Sports Center. With Head Coach Paula Weishoff as the team’s assistant coach, the Anteater standouts will likely benefit immensely from top-notch competition.