“Skins”: Saucy and Scandalous

Courtesy of MTV

Well, MTV has done it again. The infamous music television network giant is known for pushing the limits and producing newsworthy, scandalous and provocative shows — recent examples include “Teen Mom” and “Jersey Shore.” Now, however, MTV is in hot water for their newest series named “Skins.”

MTV’s “Skins” is a remake of the popular U.K. series by the same name. “Skins” follows the lives of eight teenagers obsessed with sex, booze and drugs.

The series revolves around a teenage clique led by Tony, played by James Newman. He’s handsome, manipulative, cocky and smart, your typical bad boy who gets away with anything and everything. Tony’s attitude and whole personality can be either highly entertaining or totally annoying. Whatever the impression is, Tony truly makes the show great.

Also in the group are Stanley (Daniel Flaherty), Tony’s best friend and a slovenly, shaggy-haired virgin, and Michelle (Rachel Thevenard), Tony’s completely hot girlfriend.

Furthermore there’s Tea, played by Sofia Black-D’Elia, a pretty, lesbian cheerleader, Daisy (Camille Cresencia-Mills), the smart and friendly girl, Abbud (Ron Mustafaa), a non-devout Muslim, Cadie (Britne Oldford), a hilarious and zoned-out druggie and Chris (Jesse Carere), the party-loving animal.

The U.K. and U.S. versions of the show are quite similar. However, there are big d     ifferences too. The U.K. version is much more raunchy, with a lot more nudity. The reviews are mixed on which show is better. However, the U.S. version is brand new and needs time to grow and develop. After a few more episodes, that’s when the comparisons can be made.

The series premiered on Monday, Jan. 17 at 11 p.m. The first episode centered on getting Stanly to lose his virginity. Tony enlists his entire group of friends to help Stan out. The events that follow include buying drugs, convincing a mentally unstable girl to perform sexual acts, party crashing, fighting, more sex and possible grand theft auto. That’s all in one episode.

“Skins” is a 40-minute joy ride into the scandalous and glamorized life of troublesome teenagers. This show is completely amazing and fun to watch, and it shocks you through and through. When watching the crazy and almost messed up things shown on air, you keep asking yourself, can they really show this on TV?

Only airing its first episode, “Skins” is already causing a storm of trouble. On its Monday debut, the show raked in an estimated hefty 3.2 million viewership. The show is rated MA, and is meant for an adult audience. However, along with the provocative underage cast doing very adult things, people are outraged that the show is marketed toward teens.

The PTC, Parent Television Council, is outraged that “Skins” was even aired. PTC is known for its very hands-on approach when it comes to TV shows they don’t like, and famous for calling boycotts and censorship. The PTC is calling for boycotts, pulling the series from TV and even asking the justice department to start a federal investigation on possible breaking of child pornography laws. With this entire mad media attention, Taco Bell has stated that they will be pulling all commercials from the “Skins” time slot.

With all this controversy, MTV had to speak out. In a statement, MTV representatives said that “‘Skins’ is a show that addresses real-world issues confronting teens in a frank way. We review all of our shows and work with all of our producers on an ongoing basis to ensure our shows comply with laws and community standards.”

The statement goes on to say, “We are confident that the episodes of ‘Skins’ will not only comply with all applicable legal requirements, but also with our responsibilities to our viewers. We also have taken numerous steps to alert viewers to the strong subject matter so that they can choose for themselves whether it is appropriate.”

With that said, “Skins” is what everybody is talking about. While the series’ fate is up in the air, the next episode is still scheduled for this coming Monday on MTV.

Forget all that you’ve heard about “Skins”; forget all the bad press. One must watch the show for themselves. “Skins” is absolutely fanatic, raunchy and insightful on adolescent behavior. It’s a must-see show. Be the judge for yourselves. Get in on the show that everybody loves to hate.