Sports in Brief

LBSU Edges Lady Anteaters for Third Straight Loss

After a two-point loss to Cal Poly on Jan. 15, the Lady Anteaters traveled to Long Beach only to have their emotional heartstrings tugged on by the 49ers.

Trailing 79-78 with 37.1 seconds left, junior forward Kiara Belen was fouled. Belen managed to hit her first free throw, tying the game at 79 apiece, but missed the all-important second attempt. However, with 16.2 seconds left in the game, LBSU’s Courtney Jacob was fouled. Jacob missed her first free throw but hit the second one, putting the 49ers in the driver’s seat 80-79 and sealing the victory for LBSU.

Junior forward Mikah Maly-Karros tallied another double-double with 20 points and 14 rebounds. Jade Smith-Williams scored 15, 13 of which came in the second half. Jazmyne White added another 13 and seven rebounds.

The Lady Anteaters will attempt to right the ship as they travel to CSUN on Jan. 27 and will return to the Bren Events Center on Jan. 29 to host the Aggies of UC Davis.

Men’s Tennis Falls to Texas Tech in Season Opener

On Jan. 22, the UCI men’s tennis team opened their season in Las Vegas, Nev. and came back empty-handed, losing 5-2 to the Red Raiders.

The Anteaters took a 1-0 lead after winning their first three doubles matches. However, junior Chris Kearney lost to Texas Tech’s Gonzalo Escobar 7-6, 6-2. Senior Stephen Stege was UCI’s lone singles victory. Stege defeated Vitor Manzini 7-5, 6-4.