UCI Basketball Slows Down

Men’s Basketball

UCI 62, CSUN 66

With 22 seconds left on the clock, the ’Eaters found themselves down by one point. Cal State Northridge’s Rashaun McLemore dribbled the ball on the left side of the court and attempted to milk the shot clock. McLemore struggled to find an open shot as the Anteaters’ defense stiffened. With the shot clock down to two seconds, McLemore threw up a desperation shot that banked in off the glass, putting the Matadors up by four points, sealing a CSUN victory.
Senior Darren Moore led all scorers with 21 points and nabbed eight rebounds. Eric Wise added a double-double with 20 points and 14 boards. Senior guard Patrick Rembert tallied 14 points in the losing effort.
The Anteaters struggled to play defense as they allowed CSUN to hit 48.9 percent of their shots. The ’Eaters struggled to put the ball through the cylinder as they shot 32 percent from the field.
The ’Eaters grabbed seven more rebounds and committed four fewer turnovers than the Matadors, but UCI could not pull out a victory in the end. With the loss, the Matadors snapped the Anteaters’ three-game winning streak.

UCI 107, UCD 108 (2OT)

After losing to the Matadors on Thursday, Jan. 27, the Anteaters looked to start a new winning streak against the Aggies of UC Davis. But after two overtimes, the Anteaters came out with a two-game losing streak.
With two seconds remaining in the second overtime, the Anteaters found themselves up 107-106. However, Davis’ Mark Payne took advantage of UCI not getting back on defense quite in time, and hit the game-winning layup. Payne’s score nullified Rembert’s go-ahead basket with four seconds left and gave the Anteaters a second straight last second loss.
Junior forward Eric Wise led all players with a career-high 34 points and 12 rebounds, as he recorded his second straight double-double. Rembert added 19 and freshman guard Chris McNealy contributed 13 points in the double overtime battle.
The Anteaters out-shot the Aggies 54 percent to 48 and grabbed 10 more rebounds, but once again the Anteaters fell in the waning seconds of the game.
Up next, the Anteaters (10-12, 3-5) will go on the road to face Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 3 and Cal State Northridge on Feb. 5.

Brian Kim / New University

Women’s Basketball

UCI 59, CSUN 53

The Anteaters entered halftime, trailing 23-19, and a fourth straight loss was not out of the question. However, as the second half started, senior guard Jade Smith-Williams put the team on her back and exploded on offense.
Smith-Williams scored all of her 15 points in the second half, leading to the Anteaters to a 59-53 victory. Junior forward Mikah Maly-Karros recorded another double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
The Anteaters helped themselves out by holding the Matadors to 33 percent shooting from the field and recording four more rebounds.

UCI 72, UCD 91

The Aggies held Mikah Maly-Karros to 15 points and six rebounds. Reserve Tayler Champion added 14 points but the Lady Anteaters took a shot in the mouth as they lost 91-72.
The Aggies committed eight fewer turnovers and held UCI to 26 percent from the three-point line.
The Lady Anteaters (12-8, 4-4) have lost four out of their last five games. UCI will have two opportunities to regain their momentum as they host Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 3 and CSUN on Feb. 5.