Sports in Brief

Women’s Basketball Suffers two losses in Central Coast Trip

The Lady Anteaters suffered their sixth conference loss after being dropped by UC Santa Barbara in a 70-56 defeat.

Senior guard Jade Smith-Williams led all players with 19 points. Sophomore Tayler Champion received her first career start at UCI in the absence of Mikah Maly-Karros and scored 14 points in the loss.

On Feb. 12, the Lady Anteaters suffered another conference loss. Champion tallied a career high of 18 points but that was not enough as the Cal Poly Mustangs handed the Lady Anteaters an 80-70 defeat. Champion received help from Smith-Williams and Jacquelyn Marshall, who both scored 14 points.

The Lady Anteaters shot 51 percent for the game, but that was not enough to pull out a victory against the Mustangs.

The Lady Anteaters return home for their last home game of the season on Feb. 17, as they host the Pacific Tigers.

Men’s Volleyball Sweeps Tigers, but loses to Cardinal

On Feb. 11 the ’Eaters swept the Pacific Tigers: 25-18, 25-22 and 29-27. Carson Clark led all players with 19 kills and Cory Yoder added another 12. Senior setter Anthony Spittle dished out 42 assists in the victory.

On Feb. 12, the men’s volleyball team took a two-sets-to-one advantage over the No. 4 team in the nation only to watch it slip away. The Stanford Cardinals stormed back and handed the ’Eaters another loss in five sets: 18-25, 25-20, 26-24, 20-25 and 11-14.

Clark led the way with 15 kills, and Kevin Carroll added 14. Spittle tallied 63 assists in the five-set loss.

In the two sets that the Anteaters won, UCI hit .438 in the second game and .353 in the third. However, in the three sets that the Anteaters lost, they recorded a sub-.300 hitting percentage.

The Anteaters begin a six-game home stand on Feb. 16 as they take on rival Long Beach State.