Tennis Splits Weekend Challenge

DAVID CONLEY/New University

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, No. 67 UC Irvine women’s tennis defeated the University of Nevada 4-3, improving to 2-3 overall.

The match began with three double sets, each match playing to a winner of eight points. The Nevada Wolf Pack won each of the doubles matches. Doubles players Courtney Byron and Rebecca Kwan lost 7-8, Franziska Goettsching and Kristina Smith lost 5-8 and Hannah Holiday and Brooke Schweyer lost 6-8.

UCI knew that they needed to step up in the second half with their singles matches in order to win.

“It was a very tough match, Nevada always plays this tough. We’ve played [Nevada] three or four times and it’s always like this,” Head Coach Mike Edles said. “It will usually be 4-3 and it always comes down to the last match.”

As the Lady Anteaters bested their opponents’ moves, it was common to high-five one another.

“I’m really pleased because we have a different team than last year and it was good to see that we could get through a tough match like this,” Edles said. “It’s a good experience [for the players] and it will definitely help us when we get into league play.”

The second half of the match featured six singles games with six points for a possible win, and two out of three sets to determine the winner of that match. With the sounds of panting and grunting filling the courts, the Lady Anteaters put a tremendous effort against their opponents and came out on top.

“I liked how hungry they were for the singles and we have to keep coming out that way, especially for the doubles,” Edles said. “We have been doing a little bit better in singles so far. We have very good doubles teams but we are still trying to figure out the combinations early in the year.”

In the singles matches, UCI won four out of six games, contributing to the win. The ’Eaters’ Kristina Smith, Brooke Schweyer, Courtney Byron and Hannah Holladay defeated their opponents, while Becka Kwan and Franziska Goettsching lost their respective matches.

On Sunday, Feb. 13, the women’s tennis team lost to the Wyoming Cowgirls. In the doubles matches, Kwan and Holladay were the lone winners. The Cowgirls took two of the three doubles matches. With the scored tied at 3-3, a win by Goettsching in her singles match would have given the Anteaters the win. Instead, Goettsching was dropped by Wyoming’s Kim van Ginkel, which gave the Cowgirls the overall win and improved to 5-2. UCI falls to 2-4.