News in Brief

Take the Challenge: Fast-a-thon

MSU hosted its annual Fast-a-thon event on Feb. 23. Participants fasted from sunrise to sunset, in effort to cleanse the system and purify the soul. From 12 to 1 p.m. participants made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Ring Road for Orange County homeless. The day was finished with a free dinner at 5:30 p.m. with a talk from a representative from ILM foundation, a local humanitarian organization.

Spring UTeach Courses Available

Student-taught courses are available this spring for students for one unit. Courses this year are taught by third and fourth-year students and span a variety of topic interests, including “The Art and Craft of Sewing,” “South Asian Cinema” and “Design Narratives in Video Games.”

UTeach courses are meant to enhance UCI course offerings and provide students with alternative academic opportunities that suit their interests while giving teaching experience to instructors. Student instructors work under a faculty mentor to develop their course syllabus and must have enrolled in at least two units of independent study in the fall prior to the course in order to prepare the seminar.

Look for more coverage on the student teachers in next week’s New University.

Dean Weighs in on Tom Campbell

Chapman University School of Law has picked former Congressman Tom Campbell to be their new Dean.

Thomas J. Campbell was born in Chicago in 1952. A Republican representative of California’s 12th and 15th Congressional Districts, Campbell was former dean of UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business in addition to teaching at Stanford University.

Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of UC Irvine’s school of law, says he looks forward to working in the same county with Campbell, and applauded Chapman’s decision according to an OC Register article.

Chemerinsky described Campbell as, “tremendously talented and experienced.”

Animal Collective: The Minds of Dogs

Do animals experience a declining cognitive ability with age? What environmental factors affect the brain of a beast? Recent research done by a UC Irvine Alzheimer’s research team has shed new light on the minds of dogs.

According to a USA Weekend article, the team ended up with findings concerning enriched environments and how keeping a dog’s surroundings interesting can be a great boon to the animal’s lifestyle.

The article states that using sensory stimulants, enrolling them in puppy classes, continuing to use the lessons learned outside the classroom and maintaining a healthy social life all contribute to the maintenance of a dog’s brain.