Water Polo Splits the Competition

NICK VU/New University

UCI 4, SDSU 8

For the women’s water polo team, the cross bar and San Diego State goalkeeper Kelly Campoli were the most frustrating aspects in the match against the Aztecs.

On Saturday, Feb. 26, the Lady Anteaters fell to the Aztecs, 8-4, in their opening game of the UCI Invitational.

Cortney Collyer led the ’Eaters with two goals, while Hannah Croghan and Amy Riddering each added a goal. Senior keeper Lauren Davis recorded 10 saves in the loss.

A slow start plagued the Lady Anteaters as they went scoreless in the first half and did not record their first goal until the third quarter.

In the second quarter, the Aztecs put an end to their offensive struggles, but the Anteaters’ offensive woes continued. With seven minutes left in the second quarter, San Diego State’s Jenna Natalizio broke the scoreless tie when she put the ball in the back of the net.

As the Aztecs’ offense came alive, the Lady Anteaters continued to struggle with their shot, firing balls that hit the cross bar or right into the outstretched hands of SDSU’s keeper. The Aztecs added three more goals in the second quarter and went into halftime with a 4-0 lead.

With the start of the third quarter, UCI’s stagnant offense finally awoke. Two minutes into the quarter, Croghan put the ’Eaters on the board when she put the ball in the back of the net. The Anteaters added two more goals and held the Aztecs to one goal in the third quarter. UCI went into the fourth trailing by two.

In the fourth quarter the Aztecs distanced themselves from the Lady Anteaters. SDSU picked off a couple of passes and converted them into fast-break opportunities. SDSU scored three times in the final quarter to UCI’s one.

UCI 11, UCSD 3

After falling to the Aztecs, the Lady Anteaters returned to the pool to take on another San Diego School.

This time the women’s water polo team was not plagued by any morning drowsiness. The ’Eaters did most of the shoving, as they defeated the Tritons 11-3.

Katie and Hannah Corghan led the team with two goals. Seven other Anteaters recorded a goal in the win.

UCI 5, LBSU 6 F/OT

On Sunday, Feb. 27, the women’s water polo team fell to the Long Beach State 49ers.

LBSU needed two goals in overtime in order to come out on top.

Cardey led the team with two goals and three other Anteaters tallied one goal.

The Lady Anteaters will travel to San Diego State on March 6 and face the Aztecs of SDSU.

UCI 8, UCSB 6

On Sunday afternoon, the Lady Anteaters defeated UCSB, 8-6. Collyer and Taylor Morrison led the team with two goals apiece. Four other players recorded one goal.