Lady Anteaters Flop Twice

DAVID CONLEY/New University

CSUB 85, UCI 74

The Lady Anteaters suffered a loss on their last homestand of the season on Tuesday night, as the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners scored 49 points in the second half to win 85-74.

Jazmyne White scored 15 points, going 7-10 from the field, grabbing nine boards, five of them offensive. Tayler Champion and Kassandra McCalister also contributed offensively, scoring 13 and 15 points, respectively. The ’Eaters did a great job crashing the boards, out-rebounding the Roadrunners 46-27, but they committed more than twice as many turnovers (23).

CSUB jumped on the Anteaters early in the first half, going on a 13-2 run in the first four and a half minutes of the game, including two 3-pointers. However, the ’Eaters were able to stay in the game, making six consecutive foul shots to lower their deficit to 15-8. The Anteaters kept trading baskets and stayed within the same deficit. Then with 8:36 left in the first half, Jacquelyn Marshall hit a game tying 3-pointer to make the score 23-23. From 7:05 to 2:47, the Anteaters found their groove, with White leading the charge on a 16-5 rally, putting UCI ahead of the Roadrunners 41-30. The first half ended with UCI leading 43-36.

In the beginning of the second half, Cal State Bakersfield got off to a hot start and tied the game by going on a 9-2 run with 17:45 left in the game. White and Champion responded with a shot of their own to give UCI a 49-45 lead. After the game was tied at 51 with 15:55 left, the Roadrunners again dominated the floor to stretch their lead to 11 points. The ’Eaters again retaliated with a couple of baskets, including a layup by Champion that closed the deficit to 68-62, but that would be the last time UCI came close to touching the Roadrunners.

UCR 66, UCI 62

The ’Eaters lost again at home, this time to the UC Riverside Highlanders, bringing their final regular season record to 15-14, 7-9 in the Big West.

Champion nearly recorded a double-double, scoring 21 points, shooting 4 for 7 from the perimeter and hustling for 9 rebounds. Senior guard Jade Smith-Williams managed to get 16 points and dish out 6 assists, while Jacquelyn Marshall added 10 points.

“I think we needed to make a few shots down the stretch,” Head Coach Molly Goodenbour said.

The game started out pretty slow as both sides scored only seven baskets each with 12:52 left in the first half. At 10:53 left in the first half, UCI began to build a lead with a 3-pointer by Champion. Things got better from there as the ’Eaters were able to hit three out of four free throws and another 3-pointer to go on a 6-0 run in a two-minute stretch, extending their lead to 16-7.

However, UCR refused to go down quietly, and the two teams traded baskets the rest of the first half. After UCR scored a 3-pointer with 1:11 left in the game to close the gap to 24-19, UCI answered back with four seconds left when Smith-Williams swung a pass to the top of the perimeter to Champion who made a 3-ball to finish the first half with 27-19 UCI lead.

The Anteaters fell apart in the second and found themselves repeatedly fouling the Highlanders on made baskets. Although both teams went 12-26 from the field goals in the second half, the Highlanders were able to catch up due to having more 3-pointers made and shooting 16-19 from the line. Although the ’Eaters’ 51-41 lead looked comfortable down the last 10 minutes of the stretch, the Highlanders got their act together and went on a 21-2 tear to take the lead. UCR led by nine points with 35 seconds left in the game. UCI’s last gasp effort fell short, as sadly there was not enough time for UCI to cut the lead closer than four.

Despite going on a three-game losing streak, the ’Eaters hope that the skid will stop once they enter the Big West Tournament.
The Eaters will play their first Big West conference game as the No. 5 seed against No. 4 seed UC Davis in Davis on March 8. If they were to advance, UCI would then play the remaining rounds of the tournament at the Honda Center.