News in Brief

To Irvine and Beyond!
Astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson, a former chemistry postdoctoral at UC Irvine, spoke on campus about her experience living and working aboard the International Space Station on Monday, March 7 at 7 p.m.

The event is titled “International Space Station Expedition 23/24: Living Above the World at Mach 25.” It will be held at the Arnold & Mabel Beckman Center of the National Academics of Sciences and Engineering at UCI.

The talk is free and open to the public, with limited seating. There will be overflow rooms with the talk streaming on video.

Global Warming in Newport Beach
Like many other cities on the California coast, Newport Beach is beginning to feel the swell of rising sea levels. In the wake of massive storms during the past few years, Newport Beach is beginning to make plans to reinforce their beaches, harbors and waterfronts.

The city’s traditionally strongly conservative stance has softened in the reality of rising sea levels, nullifying politically-charged debates over the origins of global warming. Specific concerns have focused on Newport Beach’s harbor and the densely populated Balboa Peninsula.

In preparation for rising sea levels, all new homes are being built on foundations about three feet higher than older homes, and the city is inspecting the aging network of seawalls built during the 1920s and 30s.

Newport Beach residents reflect a growing dissonance between the two major views on global warming and rising sea levels.

While some residents embrace the idea of raising the city’s defenses against higher tides, others continue to doubt that the threat is as acute as it is made out to be, and remain convinced that they will have plenty of time to cope if sea levels rise significantly.