129

Baseball Takes One of  Two Against St. Mary’s

Before Mother Nature could rain out Sunday’s game, the Anteaters defeated Saint Mary’s 8-7 in extra innings on Saturday, extending their record to 8-1. In the 11th inning, junior shortstop D.J. Crumlich doubled before later scoring the go-ahead run on a wild pitch.

Senior third baseman and relief pitcher Brian Hernandez may have struggled with an 0-5 day at the plate, but he was stellar on the mound. Hernandez threw the final 3.2 innings, earning his second win of the season in a scoreless appearance. Junior Jordan Leyland crushed his first home run of the season and knocked in three runs in a 1-4 day at the dish.

On Friday, UCI lost 1-0 to Saint Mary’s. Crumlich, Leyland and seniors Sean Madigan and Drew Hillman had the ’Eaters’ only four hits as St. Mary’s ace Mark Anderson shut down the ’Eaters. Junior starter Matt Summers received no run support one outing after earning his first win in an eight-inning, two-hit gem. Summers tossed six innings, giving up one earned run and striking out six. He is now 1-1 with a 1.65 earned run average and 9.92 strikeouts per nine innings.

Men’s Basketball Loses Season Finale Against UCR

In the final game of the regular season, the Anteaters’ men’s basketball team lost to UC Riverside on Saturday night, 75-66.

Junior Eric Wise scored 20 points and secured eight rebounds. Senior Darren Moore added 14 points, but as one of Irvine’s top rebounders, Moore didn’t have a single rebound against the Highlanders.

Sophomore Mike Wilder had five rebounds, but didn’t make a single shot from the field; his three points came from the free-throw line. UCI finishes the regular season with a 13-18 overall record, 6-10 in the Big West.

Men’s Tennis Narrowly Escapes UCSB

On March 4, the Anteaters held off the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 4-3 without standouts Chris Kearney and Stephen Stege.

UCI won three of six singles points and swept UCSB with all three doubles wins. Junior Sam Gould won the No. 1 singles match in three sets (6-1, 5-7, 6-4). Gould and junior Steven Henderson won the No. 1 doubles match, 8-4.

UCI improved to 8-4, 1-0 in the Big West on the season and is now ranked an impressive No. 38 in the nation.