Women’s Tennis Cages Cougars

ALEX YEE/New University

A sunny Saturday brought good fortune to UC Irvine’s women’s tennis team as they defeated the Brigham Young University Cougars 5-2 in a non-conference match. The Lady Anteaters improved to 3-7 overall.

“[The game] went well and I was very happy, particularly with the singles. Our effort and attitude was really great,” Head Coach Mike Edles said. “It can be a little dicey if you lose the doubles point as far as how you come out and it was great that we did not allow that to be negative in any way.”

The match began with three doubles sets, with UCI only winning one out of three sets. Doubles players Hannah Holiday and Rebecca Kwan lost 8-4, Hayley Young and Miranda Young lost 8-5, and Courtney Byron and Kristina Smith won 8-6.

“We have been struggling a bit with the doubles but if we just keep sticking to the fundamentals and working together as a team, everything is going to fall into place,” Edles said. “Stay the course, [execute our] plan and the philosophy that we are committed to.”

BYU received the doubles point against UCI, giving the Cougars a 1-0 lead before the start of the singles matches. The Lady Anteaters needed to step up their game in the singles matches and compete harder to win the match.

The second half of the match featured six singles games with six points for a possible win, and two out of three sets to determine the winner of that match.

“We started off really strong on the first sets of singles and just sustained that throughout the rest of the matches,” Edles said.

“I was pleased about how we came out and I thought we were well prepared mentally so I do not think that we need to change anything as far as that goes.”

In the singles matches, UCI won five out of six games, capturing the win. Anteaters Kristina Smith, Courtney Byron, Hannah Holladay, Becka Kwan and Franziska Goettsching defeated their opponents, while Brooke Schweyer lost her respective match in a tremendous effort.

“In my singles match, I was able to serve it out and I played the way I wanted to aggressively,” Kwan said. “We’ve already run the match. Everyone played really well today and there was good energy today. We need to [continue playing with the] same energy we had today.”