News in Brief

Balboa Branch May Close in the Coming Months
The Newport Public Library may close its Balboa Branch, one of its four branches, and open an “electronic library” in a portion of the Marina Park Community Center in its place.

The electronic library would offer services of computer resources and quiet space, with an on-demand online book ordering service similar to Netflix. Patrons could order books from other branches and pick them up at the electronic library.

City officials analyzed patron use of the Newport libraries, and found that patrons predominantly use library facilities for Internet and computer access and study spaces.

Consequently, the new bookless library would be designed to meet the needs of modern patrons to maximize the use of the public space.

New Clock Tower Ringing In Good News
By the end of March the Student Center Bell Tower, the class gift of the graduating class of 2010, will be completed.

The clock and electronic carillon system will be a landmark on campus. The project was a collaborative effort between Student Affairs, Advancement, the Alumni Association and the class of 2010.

UCI Awarded Grants to Study Elderly Abuse
UC Irvine’s Center for Excellence on Elder Abuse & Neglect received two grants that will fund their research in elder abuse prevention.

The grants were funded by Archstone Foundation and Unihealth Foundation, and together will boost funding by $830,000.
Archstone Foundation committed $350,000 to fund assistance for clinical services in Orange County. The second grant from Unihealth Foundation will help increase funding for psychological and medical evaluations for the elderly and provide training for elder abuse detection.

Million Dollars Granted Toward Cancer Research
Biomedical engineering professor and founder of UC Irvine’s Laboratory for Fluorescence Dynamics (LFD) Enrico Gratton and co-investigators Michelle Digman and J. Lawrence Marsh are recipients of a $1 million grant from the W.M. Keck foundation.

The funds are to be used towards cancer research. Scientists hope to find new insight into how cancer cells metastasize in humans, according to UCI Today.

New Sex Study Reveals 1940s Origins
A new study by UC Irvine sociologist David Frank concludes that the seeds of the sexual revolution of the 1960s were planted much earlier, and that the effects are still being felt on a global level today.

The study, which was published in the December issue of “American Sociological Review,” found that social perception of the role of sex began to change as early as the mid-1940s. The main changes shifted the perception of sex from a purely procreative activity to one centered on individual satisfaction.

Most importantly, the study found that the longest lasting effects of the sexual revolution have been in the classification and regulation of sex crimes around the world. Frank and his co-authors used global data from 1945-2005 to analyze the changes in sex crime regulation and found that laws regulating sodomy and adultery became more relaxed while those regulating rape and child sexual abuse expanded.