Reorganization for Operational Excellence

A reorganization review is taking place at UC Irvine as the campus is forced to confront the new budget-limited environment.
According to Communications Director Leslie Rogers, consulting firm Resource Planning and Management Associates has been hired to review student housing and auxiliary services in order to identify the most effective processes for administrative and financial budgeting.

“As the University of California addresses what appears to be a possible $500 million budget reduction as a result of the state fiscal crisis, Student Affairs is working across the whole division to find ways to preserve the core mission, and balance access, affordability and quality, while maintaining UC Irvine’s status as a top tier research university,” Rogers said.

During this process, all of the directors of housing have been interviewed by the hired consultants — a review considered standard business practice.

Just one of a number of efforts, these interviews are being utilized by Student Affairs to seek applicable and appropriate solutions to provide the same quality of education under the new restrictive financial climate.

In addition to these interviews, there is also a possibility of duties being re-allocated from one department to another, with the primary goal of increasing effectiveness in the various departments at UCI.

This reorganization of Student Affairs is, in fact, seemingly conceptually similar to a program called “Operational Excellence” put forth at UC Berkeley.

According to Berkeley’s “Operational Excellence” homepage, “Operational Excellence (OE) is a campuswide program designed to ensure that the excellence of UC Berkeley’s administrative environment matches its research and teaching, and to direct the maximum level of resources to our core mission of teaching, research, and public service.”

Although the academic atmosphere is more anxious in this time of financial crisis, the goal of the review, though, remains the same: to make sure that Student Affairs does what it can to provide the most effective processes after the drastic and burdening $500 million budget cut.

“A key way to achieve these goals is to talk to our managers, listen to our students and work as a team to address this budget challenge,” Rogers said.