Sports in Brief

Anteaters’ Bats Disappear, Lose Five Straight Over Break

While students took a stormy week off, the Anteaters struggled for the first time of the season on a road stretch. After starting 14-1, Irvine dropped four straight games over the break. The ’Eaters took game one of a double-header on March 19 at Loyola Marymount before starting their losing skid in the second game with a 4-0 shutout loss.

On March 23, UCI lost 4-3 at UNLV, despite senior Drew Hillman’s 3-4 day at the plate. At Gonzaga, the Anteaters lost their first weekend series of the year, scraping just one run across in the weekend series sweep. The Anteaters now stand at 14-6.

Irvine closes out their road stretch against the University of Southern California on Tuesday before returning home to defend their perfect 11-0 home record against Cal State Northridge, April 1-3. The Matadors series also marks the beginning of Big West conference play.

Nelson Shines At Cal/Nevada Track Championship

On March 26, junior Rex Nelson won the 5,000-meter race at the Cal/Nevada Championships in Claremont.

Junior Charles Jock was the top qualifier in the 800-meter race with a time of 1:53.03, helping UCI to a third place team standing after the first day of the championship.

Women’s Basketball Improves with 15-15 Season

Despite ending the season on a four-game losing streak, the Lady Anteaters finished with a 15-15 record, a nine-game improvement from the 2009-2010 season. The .500 record was the first double-digit win season for UCI since 2002-2003, when the ’Eaters finished 17-12.

Senior Jade Smith-Williams finished her college career off as the best free-throw shooter in school history and a first team All-Big West athlete. With an 82.7 percent mark at the charity stripe, Smith-Williams also tied the single season record for free-throw percentage (84.1 percent).

The Lady Anteaters scored 67 points per game, the team’s highest since 1994-1995.