UC Irvine Making Waves

NICK VU/New University

UCI 17, CBU 4

On March 23, the UC Irvine women’s water polo team proved to be an inhospitable host. The Lady Anteaters poured on 17 goals and limited Cal Baptist to four.

Sophomore Jessy Cardey and senior Cortney Collyer led the ’Eater attack as they chipped in with three goals apiece. Three Lady Anteaters helped the cause with two goals, while five others notched a goal to round out UCI’s 17 scores.

Senior goalkeeper Lauren Davis recorded nine saves, and the rest of the UCI defense held the Lancers to four goals.

Freshman Danielle Warde gave UCI the early advantage by scoring two goals in the opening quarter. Sophomore Kelsey Klatt and Collyer followed Warde’s two goals by adding a goal apiece, giving Irvine a 4-0 lead to end the first period.

After being held scoreless in the first quarter, the Lancers’ offense woke up in the second period and scored three goals. Once the Lancers began to score, their defense floundered, as they gave up six goals to the Lady Anteaters. UCI went into halftime with a 10-3 lead.

In the third period, the Lady Anteaters kept their foot on the throttle, scoring four more goals and holding Cal Baptist to one. In the fourth quarter, the Lady Anteaters continued to dismantle the Lancers by adding four goals in the final period.

UCI 15, UMD 2

The University of Maryland traveled 2,000 plus miles west for a rude awakening. After making quick work of the Lancers, Irvine blasted the Terrapins 15-2.

UCI’s Warde led the offensive bombardment as she tallied four goals in the victory. Freshman Michaela Pierandozzi added three, Cardey helped with two goals, and six other Anteaters recorded a goal.

On offense, UCI overwhelmed the Terrapins and on defense, they smothered Maryland. The Lady Anteaters swarmed to the ball and did not give Maryland many chances to score. Davis and sophomore Katie Avetoom played goalie by committee, holding the Terrapins to two goals and recording 15 saves between the two.

In the first period, Warde started the offensive attack by recording two goals in the first two minutes of the match. Following Warde’s two goals, the Lady Anteaters opened the floodgates. UCI added four more goals, including a bullet from freshman Hannah Croghan that made it 6-0 at the end of the first period.

Maryland had no answer for UCI’s offense, as the Lady Anteaters scored four goals in the second and third quarter. The Terrapins also struggled to find creases in the UCI defense. Maryland’s Jessica Ernst ruined the shutout as she scored the first Terrapin goal in the third quarter.

If the game was not out of reach after three periods, then UCI put the final nails in the coffin in the last quarter. Pierandozzi notched two of UCI’s five goals in the quarter.

With the non-conference win, the Lady Anteaters improve to 12-7. UCI will continue their home stand on March 31 when they host Loyola Marymount and Stanford on April 1 and Hartwick College on April 2.