Lady Anteaters See Too Much Cardinal

David Conley/New University

UCI 11, LMU 9

On Thursday, March 31, the Lady Anteaters hosted the Loyola Marymount Lions.

UCI’s Danielle Warde led all players with three goals, and the ’Eaters used two fourth-quarter goals by Cortney Collyer and Hannah Croghan to upset the No. 6 team in the nation.

The Anteaters and Lions put on a barnburner, as both teams were knotted up at three apiece after the first quarter. UCI and LMU entered halftime tied at six-all, and the third quarter ended with the score reading 9-9.

Early in the fourth quarter, much of the same trend continued. LMU opened with a goal, giving the Lions a 10-9 advantage, but UCI’s Jessy Cardey matched the score and tied things up at 10 a piece.

After matching each other’s scores, UCI finally put some distance between themselves and the Lions. Croghan put the ’Eaters up for good at 10-9 and Collyer sealed the deal with another goal.

UCI 14, Hartwick 7

The No. 13 Anteaters defeated the No. 16 Hartwick College Hawks, 14-7 on Saturday, April 2 at the Anteater Pool.

“I didn’t think we started playing well at first. We played good offensively but poor defensively in the first quarter,” Head Coach Don Klatt said. “It took us a while to wake up and get going, but I thought the last three quarters went really well.”

The Hawks scored the first goal of the first quarter, but the Anteaters were quick to reciprocate with a goal by Collyer, tying up the game 1-1. Hartwick took possession of the ball and scored, but sophomore Kelsey Klatt answered, tying the score. UCI took a 3-2 lead with a penalty shot by sophomore Jessy Cardey.

With less than four minutes to go, senior Caitlin Haskell made a quick cross to Cardey who scored, bringing the score to 4-2. With just over three minutes left, Hartwick scored a goal followed by freshman Danielle Warde retaliating with a fierce skip shot, pushing the lead to 5-4. With less than a minute remaining in the first quarter, the Hawks scored two more goals, tying the game at 5-5.

“We had a speed advantage … while they had more size and strength than we did,” Klatt said. “But we were able to take advantage of pounding our speed during the whole game, and that played out in our favor.”

In the second quarter, there were many unsuccessful goal attempts by both teams until UCI had a power play with less than three minutes to go in the first half. The Anteaters took advantage of the power play, as Warde gave the team a 6-5 lead with a quick goal. With two minutes to go, Hartwick scored, knotting the game at 6-6. Freshman Hannah Croghan and Klatt slammed two more goals into the net, giving UCI a 8-6 lead.

In the second half, the Anteaters demonstrated a strong defensive front, blocking the Hawks’ shot attempts. Cardey recorded a hat trick with her third goal, a skip shot at the end of the third quarter which gave UCI a 11-6 lead.

“Personally, it’s an advantage for me to play at home, I just like it because it’s comfortable and we practice here every day,” Cardey said. “We need to keep playing hard and stay together as a team.”

The fourth quarter solidified UCI’s victory over Hartwick College as UCI scored three more times and allowed just one Hartwick goal.

“I knew that we had our big win the other night and I knew that we would be a little flat coming out because you have to get your ego checked,” Klatt said.

UCI 4, Stanford 13

The Lady Anteaters fell to No. 1 Stanford on April 3 at Anteater Pool. Stanford jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first quarter and extended it to 8-2 at halftime.

With the loss, UCI falls to 14-8. They take to the road to face UC Davis and the University of Pacific this weekend before returning home to face Cal State Northridge on April 16.