Single Serve Sites

Instead of vowing to stop procrastinating like you do at the start of each new quarter, why not resolve to put off those assignments as long as possible? Single serve websites are here to help!

“Single serve sites” (or SSS) is a term coined by Manhattan writer Jason Kottke that refers to “websites that are comprised of a single page with a dedicated domain name and do only one thing.” Some of these sites have morphed into a multi-page community, but still focus on one random, usually entertaining, purpose.

Some of the more popular sites, such as Lamebook.com and AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com, have caused enough of a commotion to stir up more than just a few laughs. Lamebook recently got into some trouble with Facebook regarding name rights (you can no longer ‘like’ Lamebook on Facebook) and Awkward Family Photos is set to air as a television show on ABC (not quite sure how that’s going to work).

Other sites, such as the infamous TextsFromLastNight.com, allow you to order t-shirts with your favorite entries. “(949) Hey as creepy as this sounds I still have your eyelashes on my desk” would make quite the birthday present.

There are other text-messaging themed sites that are gaining recent popularity. DamnYouAutoCorrect.com is based off of embarrassing or confusing iPhone auto correction failures. For example, a girl texts her friend to say she can’t come over because she has to feed her ‘hostages’ instead of ‘grandparents.’

Another texting themed site is WhenParentsText.com. The tag-line says it all – “small keypad, old hands.” I’m sure we all have something we could submit.

People-watching has also been the inspiration behind many single serve sites. PeopleOfWalmart.com lets you enjoy the, uh, diversity of humanity without leaving your room.

Tumblr has also birthed many single serve sites. AsiansSleepingInTheLibrary.Tumblr.com is about as specialized as it gets (“They’re better at life and they get better grades than you for a reason”), and ParkingPopo.Tumblr.com is based off of awful parking jobs right around Irvine.

Some single serve websites have a more practical purpose than poking fun at students who have succumbed to a quadratic formula-induced slumber, and stick to the SSS definition qualification of “single page.”

For straight up answers to daily queries, try IsItWindy.com, GoingToRain.com or, if you’re not 100% sure that yesterday was Monday, IsItTuesday.com.

For some of life’s most pressing questions, check out

HaveTheyFoundLifeOnMars.com, atColorIsTheEmpireStateBuilding.com and IsItCanadaDayYet.com (I ponder this question quite frequently – thank goodness for this site!).

For an eerie déjà vu moment, try YouFellAsleepWatchingADVD.com, a site that shows a cartoon picture of a living room and plays various DVD themes on a television. As one who has let the “Pride and Prejudice” menu theme loop one too many times in my actual living room, I appreciate the creativity.

Need a confidence booster? AmIAwesome.com will tell you “VERY.” BarackObamaIsYourNewBicycle.com will assure you in purple block letters that “BARACK OBAMA RECITED A POEM THAT REMINDED HIM OF YOU” or “BARACK OBAMA FOLDED YOU AN ORIGAMI CRANE.” I feel pretty honored that he set my voice as his ringtone.

Here’s a good single serve for you: AListOfSites.com. Yeah. There’s a single-serve site with links to single-serve websites.

Let’s face it, this probably isn’t going to be your quarter of perfect attendance and highest grades. Instead, celebrate your despair with Nooooooooooooooo.com and impress your friends with what you learned at HowToCutAPineapple.com.

May you never again complete an assignment in advance. On to TechnoKittens.com!

WhatColorIsTheEmpireStateBuilding.com and IsItCanadaDayYet.com (I ponder this question quite frequently – thank goodness for this site!).

For an eerie déjà vu moment, try

YouFellAsleepWatchingADVD.com, a site that shows a cartoon picture of a living room and plays various DVD themes on a television. As one who has let the “Pride and Prejudice” menu theme loop one too many times in my actual living room, I appreciate the creativity.