Sports in Brief

Baseball’sTitanic Test in Fullerton

The No. 16 ’Eaters dominated the No. 12 Cal State Fullerton Titans in Fullerton on April 8, with a 15-3 game-one victory. Junior starter Matt Summers improved to 4-2, pitching 7.1 strong innings and recording eight strikeouts.

Senior right fielder Sean Madigan was 3-4, driving in a team-high four runs, and junior centerfielder Christian Ramirez hit 3-5 with three runs batted in.

The Saturday matchup was a pitcher’s duel. Fullerton came out on top 2-1. Although the Titans scratched across just two runs on four hits, the Anteaters weren’t able to string together a comeback. UCI totaled eight hits, but left six runners on base and failed to capitalize in the middle innings. Freshman starter Andrew Thurman’s record fell to 1-3 with 4.1 innings and two earned runs.

Freshman Jimmy Litchfield recorded the two final outs of the eighth before the Anteater offense was held in check to close out the game in the top of the ninth.

Men’s Volleyball Wins Five Straight

The No. 4 men’s volleyball team swept Cal State Northridge on the road on April 9, led by senior Cory Yoder’s 11 kills. UCI’s fifth straight win improved their overall record to 17-11 and 13-8 in the MPSF. Senior setter Anthony Spittle led the way with 30 set assists.

Against No. 5 Long Beach State on April 6, the Anteaters lost set two but won the rest, en route to a 3-1 victory (25-19, 20-25, 25-22, 27-25). Yoder had an errorless match, totaling 17 kills. Junior opposite Carson Clark had two aces and 16 kills. DuFault had 13 digs and 15 kills.

Water Polo Dominates Nor Cal

On April 9 and 10, the Women’s water polo team traveled to Northern California to take on UC Davis and the University of Pacific.

UCI’s Caitlin Haskell and Olivia Cummins each scored two goals as the Lady Anteaters defeated the Aggies, 9-7. Against the Pacific Tigers, Jessy Cardey and Danielle Warde led the team with three goals apiece, as UCI handed UOP an 11-6 loss.