News in Brief

Author Series at the Bookstore: Santa Monica Review

The UCI Bookstore presents writers from the Santa Monica Review on Thursday, April 14 from 5 to 7 p.m. as part of their Author Series.

Santa Monica Review is a nationally distributed literary arts journal by Santa Monica College. Writers include Dwight Yates, Chera King and Erik Kongshaug.

The event is free and open to the public. Refreshments and snacks will be provided.

Hot Topic Debates Scheduled for April 20

Professor William Schonfeld and Professor Mark Petracca will go head to head in the 2011 Hot Topics Spring Debate hosted by the Social Services’ Dean’s Ambassadors Council on Wednesday, April 20 from 7 to 8 p.m. in EH 1200.

This year’s topic is democracy and uprising in the Middle East. Professor Wayne Sandholtz will act as moderator.

AntTech Repair Center Opens at UCI

The UCI Computer Store launched the grand opening of the AntTech Repair Center on Monday, April 18.

For the grand opening AntTech hosted demos on how to back up data and how to protect computers from viruses.

The AntTech repair center is located between the UCI Bookstore and Starbucks, in the place that formerly housed the UCI Law School Store.

“Clothesline Project” Helps Take Back the Night

This coming week, Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE) will host “Take Back the Night,” their annual event to bring awareness and support to survivors of sexual assault.

The installation piece that will draw the most attention from passersby will certainly be “The Clothesline Project” between Langson Library and Gateway Commons, on display from Monday to Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The project has been displayed during other CARE events in previous  years, and is meant to take this visual and participatory exhibit as a vehicle to break the silence surrounding sexual violence.

Each T-shirt illustrates messages created by victims of sexual violence. Students, staff and faculty are encouraged to submit their own T-shirts to CARE for the event.