154

Women’s Tennis Falls Apart Against the Mustangs

On Saturday, April 16, the women’s tennis team suffered its 11th loss of the season, falling to the Cal Poly Mustangs, 6-1.

From the looks of the doubles matches, the Lady Anteaters appeared to be headed for a win. UCI took two out of the three doubles matches. Pairs Courtney Byron/Kristina Smith and Franziska Goettsching/Miranda Young won their doubles matches, while Hannah Holladay and Becka Kwan lost their match.

After capturing the doubles point, the wheels fell off the wagon. The Mustangs swept all six singles matches.

Men’s Volleyball Earns Sixth Straight Win to End Regular Season

The men’s volleyball team avenged an early season home loss by sweeping the UC San Diego Tritons in three sets: 25-19, 25-15 and 25-21.

Senior middle blocker Kevin Wynne led the charge, recording a season high of seven kills and six blocks. Carson Clark finished the match with 11 kills, while Cory Yoder added another seven. Setter Anthony Spittle dished out 29 helpers in the win.

The Anteaters rolled on offense and defense. The ’Eaters tallied 38 kills and complied a hitting percentage of .429. On defense the Anteaters held the Tritons to a .237 killing percentage and notched 12.5 blocks.

With the win, the ’Eaters finish the regular season with an overall record of 18-11 and a conference record of 14-8. The Anteaters enter the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation postseason with a six-game winning streak and will host the Hawaii Warriors in the first round on Saturday, April 23.

Jock Strikes Again; Sets 800-Meter Record at Mt. Sac

Junior Charles Jock lives by the saying “records are meant to be broken.” Jock shined this past Saturday at the Mt. SAC Relays, breaking his own school record in the 800-meter with a time of 1:45.19. Jock’s time is the best in the United States and fourth in the world this year..

Aaron Wright to Join Men’s Basketball For 2011-12 Season

Aaron Wright has signed with UC Irvine and will join the Anteaters next year. Wright, a 6- foot-two-inch guard, averaged 19.3 points, 6.6 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.2 steals in his senior season with Cerritos High School.

“I’m real excited for him.,” Head Coach Russell Turner said. “He is a versatile young player who is going to continue to grow. He’s a big point guard who sees the floor very well, rebounds well, he’s going to get better.”

Wright was named the 2011 Suburban League MVP and recorded a triple-double in the opening round of the CIF playoffs with 20 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists.

“He really wants to be at UCI, and that’s important,” Turner said.