News In Brief

Inaugural Bell Ringing Set for Thursday

The new UC Irvine bell, the class gift from the graduating class of 2010, will chime its tune for the first time on May 5 for future generations of UCI students.

The tower is located at West Peltason and Pereira Drive.

The Inaugural Bell Ringing Ceremony will be held at 9:45 a.m.  on Thursday and Chancellor Michael Drake and Interim Vice Chancellor Thomas Parham are scheduled to give welcoming speeches.

Free refreshments, prizes and student performances will be available, and all UCI students are welcomed to come and witness the beginnings of a new and potentially long-lasting UCI tradition.

Ready, Set, Film! Mad Film Dash this Friday!

The UCI Bookstore, Computerstore and the Claire Trevor School of the Arts present the 7th Annual Mad Film Dash. The event will take place from midnight to midnight beginning on Friday, May 6 and ending on Saturday, May 7. Teams of one to eight students will plan, edit and shoot a one- to five-minute film during this 24-hour period. Registration for the contest ends on Thursday, May 5. At the start of the competition, each registered team will be given a packet specifying the prompt and one to three artifacts that must be used in the film. All content for the movie must be shot during the specified time period – participants are not allowed to do any work ahead of time.

Update: Parham’s Extended Interim Position

Interim Vice Chancellor Thomas Parham’s position has been extended from his original appointment. Not much information is known beyond this other than that it is a budgetary issue; a lack of funds makes it difficult to search for and train a new vice chancellor, according to Director of Media Relations Cathy Lawhon.

Parham has worked at UC Irvine for over 26 years, working prior to his vice chancellorship as the director of both the counseling center and the career and life planning center.

His interim appointment at UCI was scheduled to end this year on June 30. The amount of time added to his term through this extension remains undisclosed.

“Parham has been providing superb leadership. [Regents] are grateful to extent his interim status and provide stable leadership,” Lawhon said.

UCI/CAPOC Host First Annual Book Drive

UC Irvine is hosting its first annual book drive this month in conjunction with Community Action Partnership of Orange County (CAPOC). The drive accepts old and new books and will run through May 27.

Drop-off collection bins are located at all parking kiosks, the Main Parking Office, Crawford Hall, UCI Bookstore and the Center for Service in Action. Donors can include their business card or UCI email address in their donation bag and they will be entered to win one of several prizes. The most needed books are: fiction, non-fiction, cookbooks, textbooks and children’s books.

CAPOC runs two family resource centers, where the books will be used to as educational tools to promote literacy.

Obituary: Passing of Angels Strike Force Member

Former Angels’ Strike Force member Heather Beyer (nee Hoefnagels) died on Saturday afternoon of breast cancer at age 27.

Beyer grew up in Orange County and attended Serrano Intermediate School in Lake Forest, and later became a cheerleader at Woodbridge High. She attended Saddleback College and Long Beach State, earning her bachelor’s degree in journalism. Beyer served as an Orange County cheerleading coach at Newport Harbor High.

Beyer, a long-time Angels fan, became a member of the Angels’ Strike Force in 2007, entertaining and rallying fans in the stands.

She is survived by her husband Nate Beyer, a deputy with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

Award for Cousteau’s Water Work May 4th

UC Irvine’s Center for Unconventional Security Affairs will present Alexandra Cousteau, granddaughter of famed marine explorer Jacques-Yves Cousteau and founder of the nonprofit organization Blue Legacy, with the Human Security Award.

Cousteau, who is heavily involved in various environmental causes, is receiving this award for her focus on safe water and the cultural, societal and health implications of consumption of unfit water.

Cousteau created Blue Legacy in 2008. Based in Washington D.C., the organization allows sustainable management of water to be available for all and is interested in marine conservation and the connection between new technologies in water and local, more classic techniques as well.

Cousteau will give a speech and receive her award on Wednesday, May 4 at 7 p.m. at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center of the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering.