Records Broken at Track Invitational

Lee-Huang Chen/New University

Over the last year and a half, the Irvine faithful has grown accustomed to career-bests and record-breaking performances. In the Asics/Scott Steve Invitational, the trend continued; however, this time none were set by junior Charles Jock.

In Sunday’s events, senior Madeline Leduc set a school record in the triple jump. Junior Maggie Newton-Neal also impressed, recording the ninth fastest 800 meter finish in UCI history.

Jock’s Sunday performance wasn’t a record breaker, but he did finish first in the 400 meter in 46.3 seconds. The sprint was the fourth fastest time ever recorded in school history, as Jock continued to dominate the Anteater history books in the 400 meter category.

On Saturday, UCI’s Andy Burich set a personal best in the steeplechase, finishing third with a time of 9:12.50. Teammate Brennan Halliday finished four seconds behind Burich, placing third with the time 9:16.44.

In the hammer throw, UCI’s Matt Lahti used a mark of 193-5 for a third-place finish. In the 5,000 meters, junior Rex Nelson claimed a fifth place finish with a time of 14:53.88 and freshman teammate Steve Malena ran the event in 14:56.11.

On the women’s side, junior Melissa Mead also ran a personal best in the 5,000 meters, finishing the race with a time of 17:31.20 which was good for a fourth-place finish. Freshman Colleen Lillig finished two spots behind Mead, placing sixth in the 5,000 meters with a time of 17:31.20.

UNLV’s Amanda Bingson used a mark of 229-0 for a first-place finish in the hammer throw. Bingson’s mark of 229-0 broke the Anteater Stadium record of 223-11 held by Lisa Misipeka, who competed unattached and set the record in 2003.

Avione Allgood, who competed unattached, also broke an Anteater Stadium record. Allgood threw the javelin for a mark of 173-7, breaking the previous record of 170-11 set by Kristin Dunn back in 1999.

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete in the Big West Multi Championship on Friday, May 6 and Saturday, May 7, which will be held at Anteater Stadium. The following week, Irvine hopes to keep their season alive and avoid elimination as they compete in the conference championship.