152

Baseball Wins Series at Cal State Bakersfield

The ’Eaters opened up a three-game series against Cal State Bakersfield on April 29. In the opening game, Matt Summers led the charge, pitching eight scoreless innings, striking out four and walking one. Going into the bottom of the ninth, Summers looked to record his first complete game shutout, but the Roadrunners had other plans.

Bakersfield managed to put two runs on the board, forcing Manager Mike Gillespie to pull Summers after eight-plus innings of work. Gillespie handed the ball to closer Brian Hernandez, who also struggled, allowing the two tying runs and blowing the save.

In the bottom of the tenth, Bakersfield’s Andrew Letourneau recorded the walk-off hit, driving in teammate Tyler Shryock for the game winning run and handing UCI reliever Nick Hoover his fourth loss of the season.

On April 30, the ’Eaters evened up the series behind Drew Hillman and Jordan Leyland’s combined six RBIs. After scoring four runs in the top of the first, the Anteaters fell behind, as Crosby Slaught gave up six runs to the Roadrunner bats in the bottom of the inning. UC Irvine did not let up though, scoring seven runs in the next nine innings. Behind freshman Andrew Thurman, who pitched six shutout innings and sophomore Kyle Hooper’s 2.1 scoreless innings, the Anteaters held onto the 11-6 lead.

UCI had defeated Penn, UC Riverside and USC Upstate, all by the score of 5-2, and also took down Marquette 4-3.

In the series finale against Cal State Bakersfield, the Anteaters shut the Roadrunners out, 7-0, thanks to a stellar start from sophomore Matt Whitehouse.

Whitehouse registered career highs with eight innings pitched and seven strikeouts, improving his spotless record to 3-0.

Seven runs of support helped the southpaw coast to victory as the Anteaters’ lineup totaled 15 hits. Junior Christian Ramirez and Hillman were both three for five, while senior outfielder Sean Madigan contributed two hits and two runs batted in. With the road victory,  the No. 17 Anteaters improved their record to 28-12.

Second Straight Big West Title for Men’s Tennis Team

After staying perfect in conference play during the regular season, it was fitting for UCI’s men’s tennis to sweep the Pacific Tigers in the Big West Title match on May 1. Pairs Kearney/Stege, Henderson/Gould and Cheung/Matthews all won their double matches, giving the first point to the Anteaters. Behind Chris Kearney’s win over Pacific’s Artem Gramma (6-3, 6-2) and Shan Sondu’s victory over Alex Golding (6-2, 6-2), the Anteaters swept all five singles matches.

The men’s tennis team won its 14th championship in school history and will receive their second straight automatic bid to compete in the NCAA Tournament.

Women’s Tennis Loses in Conference Championship

In the Big West Championship, the UCI women’s tennis team faced off against Long Beach St. for the fourth straight year. Unlike last year, the Lady Anteaters were unable to upend the No.1 seeded 49ers. UCI fell behind after dropping two doubles matches. The Anteaters regained their footing as Brooke Schweyer won her singles match. But the difference proved to be losses by Courtney Bryon, Rebecca Kwan and Hannah Holladay.

Women’s Water Polo Wins Big West Tournament Title

The No. 10 Anteaters completed a three-peat on May 1, winning their third straight Big West Tournament Championship and advancing to the NCAA Tournament with an 11-5 win over No. 16 Long Beach State in Santa Barbara.

Senior Cortney Collyer was the  MVP, leading the cause with four goals. Freshman Danielle Warde, junior Katie Croghan and senior Caitlin Haskell also contributed two goals apiece. Sophomore Jessy Cardey rounded out the scoring output with an additional goal of her own. UCI enters the tournament at 21-8.