120

The Orange County Marathon: A Wild Success

The seventh OC Marathon and Half Marathon began at 6 a.m. on May 1. An arduous journey began with one step. With more ocean views and diverse terrain, the new course meandered through Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Costa Mesa and ended at the OC Fair and Event Center. Excitement permeated through the chilly Sunday morning air, yet the runners were smiling from ear to ear. Spectators cheered and runners gleefully advanced to the starting line. The Running Club at UCI was one of the many running clubs that took part in the race.

Many runners enthusiastically claimed that their goals were “to set a personal record” or simply just “to finish.” Team Jake, a participating team of 142 runners in bright yellow shirts, was the largest running group in the OC Marathon. In 2006, the Roberts family started Team Jake in honor of their son, who died from cerebral palsy. Team Jake continues to raise funds for United Cerebral Palsy of Orange County and, most recently, won the heart of the winner of the OC Marathon, Peter Omae Ayieni.

According to the OC Register, Ayieni is an unsponsored Kenyan runner who came to the United States to run races. With no place to stay and little income, Ayieni encountered the Roberts family who gave him food and place to stay. Ayieni supported Team Jake by running the marathon in a yellow Team Jake shirt. Ayieni sprinted to the finish line, setting a new course record at an impressive two hours and 22 minutes.

From start to finish, there is no doubt that all participants dedicated their time, energy and strength. It is said that the first 20 miles are just like training, but the last 6.2 miles are all heart. The finish-line festivities were packed with families, sponsors and vendors. The platinum sponsors of the marathon included Nutrilite, Wahoo’s Fish Taco and South Coast Plaza. Mingo Lee and Wing Lam, the owners of Wahoo’s Fish Taco, ran the 5K and announced that the first 200 runners get free tacos. Even Big Foot made an appearance, promoting the Irvine Lake Mud Run.

Whatever reason brought out these 9,629 participants to the OC Marathon and Half Marathon, they all started out together and they finished together.

UC Irvine Professor to Become Part of NAS

Barbara Dosher, dean of UC Irvine’s School of Social Sciences and professor of cognitive sciences, was elected to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS). Professor Dosher is one of 72 new members and 18 foreign associates recognized this year.

Her research revolves around attention, perceptual learning and memory. Her current research focuses on attention and visual processes and how training may improve performance. She received her bachelor’s degree in psychology from UC San Diego and master’s and doctoral degrees in experimental psychology from the University of Oregon. Before joining the UCI faculty, Dosher was a professor of psychology at Columbia University for 15 years.

NAS membership totals 2,113 today — 26 come from UCI including John Avise, Francisco J. Ayala, Michael Cahalan, Michael Clegg, William Daughaday, Greg Duncan, Barbara Finlayson-Pitts, and Zachary Fisk.

Former UCI Chancellor Ralph J. Cicerone is the current NAS president.

Breaking the Silence: An Event for Awareness

The LGBT Resource Center, CARE Office and Veteran Service Center will host “Silences in the Military” on Thursday, May 12 – an event that, according to a press release by CARE, will “provide education and discussion to break the silence.”

These unspoken taboos are violence (and more specifically sexual violence) and sexual orientation within the context of the U.S. military.

The event will take place from 6-8 p.m. in Crescent Bay A and B in the Student Center. It will feature a documentary titled, “In Their Boots: Angie’s Story,” followed by a panel discussion afterwards, concerning LGBTIQ violence and what goes unsaid.

Jodaiko Concert: Coming Soon!

UC Irvine’s Japanese drumming ensemble Jodaiko will perform in their fifth concert titled “Keiretsu” on Saturday, May 14 from 6-8 p.m. in Pacific Ballroom C and D.

“Keiretsu” means large group or entity in Japanese and speaks to the group’s size, with 32 performing members. Their performance will both continue traditional taiko drumming techniques while also embracing innovational and experimental elements.

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free, but RSVP is encouraged.

Festival of Time Held in OC Great Park

The Orange County Great Park will host the second and third of three events dedicated to OC history this week as part of their Festival of Time events series.

“The Vietnamese Immigrant Experience in Orange County,” will be held on Thursday, May 12 from 7-9 p.m. and will feature Linda Vo, associate professor of Asian-American Studies at UC Irvine, and Ysa Le, director of the Vietnamese Arts and Letters Association and the Vietnamese International Film Festival.

“A Day of History & El Toro Homecoming,” will be held on Saturday, May 14 from 4-10:30 p.m., and will feature a “Day of History” event combined with the El Toro Homecoming.