News in Brief

Claire Trevor Professor Given Honorary Degree

Esteemed Claire Trevor School of the Arts Dance Professor Donald McKayle received an honorary degree from the California Institute of the Arts, CalArts, along with actress Annette Bening, at the school’s commencement ceremony on Friday May 20, at 6 p.m.

McKayle is the artistic director of UC Irvine’s dance department, and the director of the UCI Etude Ensemble. He has choreographed more than 70 works for dance companies in the United States, Canada, Israel, Europe and South America. In addition to awards received at UCI, including the UCI Medal and UCI’s Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award for Research, he was made a Claire Trevor Professor in Dance, and a Bren Fellow. In April 2005, McKayle was presented with a medal as a Master of African American Choreography at the John F. Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.

McKayle has also served with the Juilliard School, Bennington College, Bard College and Sarah Lawrence College, among others. His work has earned him numerous Tony Award nominations, an Emmy nomination, and the Capezio Award, among others.

Orange County Hit With Three Deaths; Two at UCI

A series of strange deaths have hit UC Irvine and the greater Orange County area.

In Costa Mesa, a potential custody dispute culminated in a double homicide on May 3.

32-year-old Emily Ford and her 62-year-old father Russell Ford were found dead by bullet wounds after being shot at around 6 p.m., according to ABC 7 news.

Ford’s husband, Robert Lehmann, had been engaging with the former in a battle for custody of their 7-year-old daughter.

Under these grounds for suspicion, Lehmann — who called the police to report the shooting — was taken into custody, while their daughter and other baby were removed from nearby.

Ten days later, Arroyo Vista residents reported seeing a CSI truck early Friday, May 13 outside the second bus stop on the Arroyo Vista shuttle route. A student living in AV passed away that day due to complications from a fall.

As per request from the family, the name of the deceased has not yet been disclosed and an investigation is under way.

No updates have surfaced as of yet, save one email from Peer Educator Hanna Schultheis-Gerry.

“Are you experiencing the loss of a friend or family member?” The email reads. “Are you looking for support in handling the emotions that you are facing?”

This email offered a Grief Workshop, in part with an organized Friends Helping Friends Workshop series. The event was held on Wednesday, May 18 from 7-8 p.m. in the Moss Cove A room of the Student Center.

The third alert in the cryptic succession of unfortunate events came on Thursday, May 19, when a ZotAlert was released, bearing word of the death of an adult male.

As of 2pm, May 20th, police confirm the third body to be UCI alumnus Andrea Silvestri, who worked in the department of physics and astronomy. His body was discovered at 10:30 a.m. in the pool at the corner of Zola and Urey Courts in University Hills.

“The police have determined that there is no immediate threat to the campus community or University Hills residents,” Acting Chief of Police Jeff Hutchison wrote in the alert.

Very little information has been disclosed on all three of these frightening deaths, but UC Irvine police and the City of Irvine PD are working together in a joint investigation for more answers.

Any information on these cases is welcome. Call UCPD at (949) 824-5223 with details.

Reggaefest in Aldrich Park to Come Week 9

ASUCI will be hosting its annual Reggaefest on Friday, May 27. This year, the lineup features Pepper, The Expendables and Fortunate Youth, as well as Seedless, Phatreggae Dub and Pure Steel also performing.

A UCI tradition hosted annually in Aldrich Park to celebrate the coming of summer, the event includes live music, fun activities, free drinks and refreshment, as well as free food courtesy of Chronic Taco.

Reggaefest will begin at 12:00 p.m. and end at 5:00 p.m.