123

UCI Honors Scholar-Athletes

UC Irvine honored 119 Big West Scholar-Athletes on May 19 at the “Salute To Scholar-Athletes” banquet. To qualify, athletes must letter in a sport and maintain a 3.0 grade point average over three quarters or a 3.2 GPA in two quarters for freshmen.

Women’s soccer senior Tanya Taylor was recognized as the Lauds & Laurels Outstanding Senior Athlete, the most prestigious award handed out by the UCI Alumni Association. Taylor was also honored as UCI’s Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Volleyball player Cory Yoder, a first team All-American, was selected as UCI’s Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Women’s water polo star Cortney Collyer, an NCAA All-Tournament team member, was chosen as the Big West Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Corey Attaway of men’s soccer was named the Big West Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year.

Other standouts recognized included seniors Jade Smith-Williams, Brian Hernandez, Nikki Forrest and Brandon Johnson; juniors Charles Jock, Carson Clark, Chris Kearney, CoCo Goodson and Alisha Misiaita; sophomores Katherine Nielsen, Lari Amack, Mar Rodriguez, Kristina Smith and Mike Wilder; freshmen Mitch Wise, Danielle Warde and Ronnie Valerio.

Local Standout Commits to UCI

Marcus Bradley of Corona del Mar High School signed a national letter of intent with the UCI men’s basketball program, UCI Athletics announced last Thursday.

Bradley, a 6-6 forward, averaged a double-double in his senior season, scoring 20 points and 10 rebounds per game for the Sea Kings. Topping out with 33 points against Upland High School, Bradley scored in double figures in 28 of 29 games.

Bradley’s scouting grade on ESPN.com is an 81, the fourth best out of the five members of UCI’s class of 2011 recruits. The report explains that Bradley “has a physical frame with solid length. He has a solid bounce, good feet and magnetic hands. He catches everything in his area and he has good instincts around the paint area. He also possesses a solid drop step move and can dunk with room in the paint.”

With Bradley joining forward Will Davis and guards Aaron Wright, Collin Woods and Reed McConnell in the team’s 2011 class of recruits, the Anteaters have added considerable size and athleticism to the team.

Jerry He Competes in NCAA Regional

Sophomore golfer Jerry He finished +8 in three rounds at the NCAA San Diego Regional last weekend. He placed 46th, shooting a 72 in his final round with four birdies. The champion was UCLA’s Patrick Cantlay, who finished the tournament 13-under.