News in Brief

Are You Playing Your Love Games With Me?

Active Minds at UC Irvine presents “Love My Life,” an event designed to cover different aspects of mental health and bring awareness to the subject. Therapy dogs, speakers, free food, entertainment and interactive booths from different organizations will be at the Student Center Terrace on June 1 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Speakers will include Jacqueline Rivera and Didi Hirsch from Mental Health Services, as well as a peer educator from the Counseling Center. Entertainment will also be provided by Uncultivated Rabbits, a spoken-word group on campus.

The UC Irvine Undie Run Will Bare All

The quarterly UC Irvine Undie Run will take place Friday before finals week on Friday, June 3 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. with AMP radio DJ-ing the night.

The club’s motto reads: “The best time you’ll ever have while wearing the tiniest margin of clothing.”

Participants are encouraged to bring clothing donations that will go to OC Mission charities.

2011 Medalists Announced for Coveted Award

Four distinguished individuals have been selected to receive UC Irvine’s highest honor, the UCI Medal. The medal, presented annually, gives lifelong recognition to those who have contributed to the university’s mission of teaching, research and public service.

Chancellor Michael Drake recognized Barbara Davidson, Manuel Gómez, Michael Mussallem and Larry Overman for their contributions to this campus, adding that UCI’s rise in the ranks of American Universities is due to the efforts and contributions of these, and other like-minded individuals.

Barbara Davidson was a Regents Scholar and a member of UCI’s first class in 1965. After graduation she worked in a series of university staff positions, and retired as associate chancellor in 2007. Davidson’s legacy includes major fundraising for the Phineas Banning Alumni House and the Qureshey Research Laboratory at the Herklotz Research Facility.

Manuel Gómez served at UCI for 38 years and contributed to this campus, and to its students, staff and faculty in ways beyond measure. He helped to create and support programs that benefited tens of thousands of Californians, many from disadvantaged backgrounds. Gómez founded the UCI Center for Educational Partnerships, developing CAMP, COSMOS and SAGE, co-founding the Silk Road to the Future and establishing the UCI XIV Dalai Lama Endowed Scholarship. Gómez’s career has also spanned beyond UCI in his consulting work for the U.S. Department of Education.

Michael Mussallem is a trustee of the UC Irvine Foundation, has chaired the Chief Executive Roundtable, co-chaired the UCI Medal with his wife and served on the Engineering Leadership Council and the Health Affairs Strategic Advisory Board. He is also the chairman and CEO of the Irvine-based Edwards Lifesciences, which maintains a public-private partnership with UCI. Mussallem has also contributed to the UCI men’s volleyball team, the UCI Medal Awards and the Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine.

Former Department of Chemistry Chair and Distinguished Professor Larry Overman joined UCI’s faculty in 1971. As one of the world’s pre-eminent organic chemists, his research has helped create new treatments for cancer, cardiovascular conditions and immunity disorders.

The UCI Medal ceremony will be held on Saturday, Oct. 29 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Bren Events Center.