Sports in Brief

4 Women’s Water Polo Athletes named ACWPC All-Americans

Cortney Collyer, Jessy Cardey, Caitlin Haskell, and Danielle Warde were named to the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches 2011 All-America teams. This marks the first time UC Irvine has had four honorees in a single year. This is the second consecutive year Collyer and Cardey have received recognition from the ACWPC with both attackers being named honorable mention in 2010.

UCI Women’s Volleyball will start 2011 season on road

UC Irvine women’s volleyball team’s 2011 campaign will include eight 2010 NCAA Tournament qualifying teams. The Anteaters will start their season with nine games on the road, opening with the Aztec Invitational against host San Diego State. The team will then face Nevada and Portland.

The road trip will continue at the Delaware Invitational where they will face the Blue Hens, and then take on Northern Iowa. UCI will faces its first NCAA Tournament team, Florida State, to conclude action in Newark.

The road play continues at the Comcast/Sheraton Lobo Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the Anteaters will face the Lobos before meeting the University of Montreal. The team will finish up tournament play against Portland State.

Matt Summers awarded All-America honorable mention nod from collegebaseballinsider.com

Pitcher Matt Summers picked up another award to add to his resume. Summers was honored nationally for the fourth time, earning the All-America honorable mention from collegebaseballinsider.com. He has also earned the award from Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, and the American Baseball Coaches Association.

Men’s Soccer releases 2011 schedule

George Kuntz and the UCI men’s soccer team will have the opportunity to play three NCAA Tournament teams this upcoming 2011 season. The Anteaters will kick off their season with a home opener against the University of San Diego on Aug. 26th. Irvine will also compete against a 2010 NCAA Tournament qualifier, University of South Florida, in a tournament hosted in Tampa, Florida on Sept. 18th. UCI will face the defending Big West Champions, UC Santa Barbara, on Oct. 1 and later face Creighton, who advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament last year.

The team returns six starters, led by Big West honorees, Miguel Ibarra, Andrew Fontein, and Everett Pitts. UCI finished 14-3-3 last season and was controversially left out of the NCAA Tournament field after flopping in the Big West Tournament.