5 Ways to Avoid That Summer Daze

Courtesy of Charles Lam

As we are approaching the final weeks of summer, we each experience the misfortune of having to fold back the page for July and flip to August, thinking of all the things that still need to be done before school takes away the unlimited free time that summer kindly grants to each of us. For me, as I hear the reluctant crinkling of the page as time plunges forward, I have to take stock of what the seeds of summer can still sow.  I know, that sounds really cheesy, but who wouldn’t want to have a cornucopia of fruitful harvests of adventures?

You came here, to this page, to read about the must- dos, the events that epitomize the free and fun-loving spirit of summer. Here’s my MUST TO-DO LIST before school starts, and before research papers and daily assignments once again become the norm.

One: Catch up on sleep. Now. I know this isn’t the most exciting thing, and it’s nothing like the adrenaline rush of bungee jumping or the satisfaction of finding the new perfect summer hang out. However, if you don’t have any energy, you won’t want to do anything besides lay around, meaning you’ll miss out on a lot of opportunities. So, find a comfy bed,  a nice worn-in pillow and catch some badly needed Zzzzz’s after the busy school year. Siestas are a global trend.

Two: Hit the beach to catch some rays or ride some waves. The beach is the destination of choice during the school year on those warm days where the sun streams through your blinds and seems to be calling you to the grainy pebbles of sand, away from cold classrooms and unsympathetic teachers, and does not cease to be so during the summer. Grab your favorite bikini, or pair of board shorts, your closest friends and a picnic lunch for everyone to share. You’ll be sure to have times and jokes that rank among the best of summer!

Three: When the brutal heat of summer gets to be too much, find some entertaining indoor activities, free air conditioning included. Personally, one of my must sees is the Tim Burton exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, or LACMA. For just $20, you can see over 700 drawings, paintings, photographs, moving-image works, maquettes, cinematic ephemera and more. The exhibit is sure to provide you with a sensory overload, straight from the self-described master of the fiendishly freaky.

Four: LA Adventures. Have you ever been jealous when friends talk about their trips to iconic LA destinations, like the classically delicious French dip sandwiches at Philippe’s, the Walk of Fame, where you too are on par with the stars of the past and the present and last but certainly not least, the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, where movies are screened for the public during summer for a once in a lifetime experience? Well, now is your chance to out-do them. Make all those iconic and noteworthy trips, and add in a stop at the worldly, eastern-inspired baroque antiquity of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, where you can take a step back in time in this historic Hollywood mecca. With pictures documenting your walk among the stars and their legacies, everyone will be looking at you, the well-versed iconic landmark connoisseur, to plan the next group trip to the heart of Los Angeles County.

Five: Most importantly, though, no matter where you go, or who you’re with, have fun! Summer is the time to catch up on favorite shows, beach trips, long awaited vacations, etc., and if you’re with the right people, having a movie night at home with your friends, watching the latest episode of Mad Men with a big bowl of buttery popcorn and various arrays of other salty and delicious snacks, you can all make memories to get you through the torturously long academic year and the pages upon pages of papers. What is comes down to, then, is living your life, and making the best memories that you can with your friends and family.

As Celia Thaxter once said, “There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart” and with fun memories of all the summer activities that you’ve already done, and that you’re still doing, your everlasting nostalgia of past summer days will get you through even the toughest school day.

What are you still reading this for? Get out there and go on the adventures that will provide you with the satisfaction of knowing that your summer bucket list was outfitted to the extreme. It’s time to create your own eternal summer.