Thursday, April 25, 2024
HomeClaire Trevor School of Arts Fall Preview

Claire Trevor School of Arts Fall Preview

Courtesy of Nikki Jee

Spend a couple minutes in the Cyber A Cafe located in the Arts Plaza and you’ll know — there’s something going on at UC Irvine’s Claire Trevor School of the Arts. StageSceneLA.com awarded the drama department with numerous accolades for last year’s musicals, “Into the Woods” and “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”  The school boasts top programs in dance and drama and attracts distinguished faculty from across the fine arts spectrum.  Students are given the opportunity for excellent, hands-on learning experiences with top names in their respective fields.

Students outside of the arts get to reap the benefits too.  Every quarter there are main-stage events like musicals, straight plays, dance shows and music recitals. To fill the arts calendar even more, there are a number of student produced plays each quarter, free of charge. Keep an eye out for music recitals and student art galleries in addition to the bigger collections as well. UCI also has a plethora of student-organized groups to keep an eye out for. Bare Bones Dance Theater puts on a show every spring, Pipeline Players produces plays throughout the year, improv troupe Live Nude People (With Clothes On) performs every other Friday night at 11 p.m. and the a capella groups Circle of Fifths and Clair de Lune have concerts every quarter.

There’s a lot going on, so no excuses, Anteaters! Take advantage of your fellow classmates’ talent and see some high-quality performances (for cheap!). To make it a little easier, here are just a few of the events to keep an eye out for this fall quarter. (Keep in mind, it’s early in the quarter and not everything has been scheduled yet! If improv, a capella or intimate student-produced plays are your thing, poke around Facebook for groups and events.)

Theater:

Antigone

Sept. 29-30, 6:30 p.m.; Oct. 1-2, 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.

The Little Theatre, Humanities Hall

Directed by second-year grad actress Sonya Cooke, this classic Greek tale kicks off at The Little Theater and meanders its way through the park. Blink and you’ll miss this free and really unique piece of theater. Dress warmly and wear comfortable shoes!

Waiting for Godot

Oct. 21-23, 27-29

Robert Cohen Theatre

Directed by UCI’s esteemed, world-renown Robert Cohen and inspired by a letter playwright Samuel Beckett himself wrote to Cohen, prepare for an absurd but fresh take on the weirdest play you’ll ever encounter. This play is a part of the Robert Cohen Festival, along with workshops, presentations and the official ribbon-cutting of the newly renamed theater in his honor. Tickets are $11 with a valid student ID, available at the box office.

The Misanthrope

Oct. 28-30

The Little Theatre, Humanities Hall

Pro-tip: go watch all the Moliere plays you can find. Directed by Keith Fowler and translated by Robert Cohen, “The Misanthrope” is a funny look at tact, acquaintances and friendly faux pas. Go make fun of the French aristocracy of old and, oddly enough, yourself. Tickets are $11 with a valid student ID, available at the box office.

In the Red and Brown Water

Dec. 2-4

Claire Trevor Theatre

Directed by Shannon Ferrante, “In the Red and Brown Water” tells the story of Oya, a runner who has to choose between taking care of her mother and following her own desires. Reviews of professional performances of the show laud the celebration of African and Caribbean folklore as poetic, lyrical and fresh. Tickets are $11 with a valid student ID, available at the box office.

Dance:

New Slate

Nov. 17-19

Claire Trevor Theatre

“New Slate” is awesome every single year, so you should definitely check it out. This show features graduate student choreographers and displays the talents of undergraduate and graduate dancers. Each piece promises to be an innovative mix of styles and expertly designed with the guidance of world-class dance faculty. Tickets are $11 with a valid student ID, available at the box office.

Studio Art:

Yael Bartana’s “…and Europe will be stunned”

Oct. 5-Mar. 10

Contemporary Arts Center Gallery

Israeli-born artist Yael Bartana addresses the Global Diaspora of the Jewish avant-garde with the American premiere of her film trilogy. The exhibition is the continuation of the University Art Gallery’s “Critical Aesthetics Program” featuring internationally acclaimed, mid-career artists. Check this exhibition out for free during gallery hours, Tuesday-Saturday, noon-6 p.m.

Barbara T. Smith’s “The Radicalization of a ‘50s Housewife”

Oct. 5-Dec. 4

University Art Gallery

Barbara T. Smith’s famous “Birthdaze” is the cornerstone of this exhibition. Premiering in 1980, “Birthdaze” is a feminist performance art manifesto in which the artist relates her own life to that of the male avant-garde. The surrounding exhibition features archival material documenting the making of the piece. Any art history student or fan should make this gallery event a priority. The public is also welcome to the free opening reception Oct. 5, 6-9 p.m. Check this exhibition out for free during gallery hours, Tuesday-Saturday, noon-6 p.m.

“eyecode: Works by Golan Levin”

Oct. 5-Jan. 22

Beall Center for Art + Technology

UCI’s specialty seems to be the combination of art and technology and the Beall Center is the home of that. This exhibition focuses on the “design of systems for creation, manipulation and performance of simultaneous image and sound,” according to the event’s description. Levin creatively shows our relationship and interaction with machines.

Go wander through the Beall Center anytime Sundays and Wednesdays from noon-5 p.m. or Thursday-Saturday, noon-8 p.m.