Don’t Starve the Freshmen: A How-To Guide to Kitchen Survival

101
101

A lot of things can get forgotten in the hustle and bustle of moving in, one of which is shopping for groceries. Since not everyone can rely on commons to feed them all the time, and I’d rather you guys don’t starve for two weeks, this is my list for the pantry purchases that won’t leave you hungry.

Starches:

Starches like bread and rice are perfect to fill you up, are fairly cheap and stretch flavors super far. But not all starches are made the same; some are much better for you than others.

When it comes to bread, bleached white bread is cheap, filling ,utterly bland and bad for you. If there were ever a food completely devoid of nutritional value, white bread would be it.

Instead, you should aim for some whole wheat bread. Higher in dietary fiber, whole wheat bread is more filling for fewer calories and helps clear out toxins and waste from your body.

For those accustomed to rice, try different varieties. Short grain rice is suited for soupy and saucy applications, while longer strains are more suited for dryer sides. Medium grains can provide a balance between the two.

Those worried about being healthy should try out brown rice, which is much higher in fiber and B vitamins, though it can be very difficult to cook.

Veggies and fruit:

The problem with vegetables and fruit is that they don’t keep very well. Unlike bread and rice which can store well and be eaten  a bit later, veggies and fruit spoil fairly quickly.

To combat this, pair up with your roommates and buy them in bulk. Good plants to buy that are easy to cook, tasty and good for you are broccoli, strawberries and spinach.

You should always keep around some onions, celery, carrots and garlic to add some flavor to your food.

Proteins:

Proteins are always a good idea to keep around to feed your inner carnivore. Eggs are a staple that can be prepared with anything. Chicken breast is low in fat, though also low in flavor. Beef is also a good staple and does tend to drop in price fairly often. Good cuts to keep around are chuck, tri-tip and rib-eye.

Misc.:

It only takes a few spices to make your food sing., The most common ones you should have around are salt and black pepper, but don’t be afraid to try other things out. Thyme, rosemary, ground mustard, cayenne pepper and paprika are all fun to experiment with and are fairly inexpensive.

Starving is never a good thing, and on the other hand, going out to for food is straining on your wallet. Stop being afraid of the grocery store and take a trip to the produce section. It won’t be long until you find yourself, full, happy and satisfied with your own home cooking.