My Most “Purr”fect Friend

Jasreen Gupta/New University

In one of those happy and idyllic moments that can be tainted by neither time nor maturity, I remember her soft, heather-gray fur brushing against me as a gentle purr emitted from her throat. Her paws began doing what I like to call “num nums,” her toes flexing in and out to the beat of her soothing purring.

Sure, claws aren’t always the softest things, but the joy that all these elements represented, and the look of complete serenity on my cat Sadie’s face, made it all worthwhile. She was happy, and I loved her company.

Beyond these loving motions, there lay a kind and loving soul that I could never forget. People often say that the eyes are the window to the soul. If these words are true, which I personally believe they are, Sadie was bound to have an incredibly kind character. Built with a fairly thin stature, her small size did not limit the love that she gave to me and the rest of my family.

After having her around the house for the first 11 years of my young life, she had become part of the household. She was a family member we all enjoyed spending time with. Sadie never hesitated about curling up right beside us for hours on end.

Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with cancer, which came as a terrible shock. The cancer started in a part of her leg. It eventually resulted in other serious repercussions such as excessive weight loss, inability to eat and a lack of energy.

It killed me to see her going through the pain. Even though I wasn’t quite aware of the severity of the situation at that age, I knew that the forecast was grim.

After six months, there was only one choice left. We had to put her to sleep. It was going to be  one of the hardest decisions to make. However, my parents and I knew that it would be the only way to make sure Sadie wouldn’t be in pain anymore.

While I went to school, my mom and dad took her into the vet’s office. At school, it plagued my thoughts, but I knew that nothing else could be done.

After school, the mood in my house wasn’t as cheerful as it used to be. This once happy mood was replaced with  an entrenched sadness that seemed to cling to every particle and fiber.

That day, my mom had shared a poem she had written about how much Sadie had meant to all of us.  Sadie’s death is one that I remember hazily, but one that I can’t and never will forget. It would be difficult to describe how Sadie has played a role in my life. However, she has influenced me in many different ways, perhaps too many to name.

She showed me how to care about someone. She had a lasting impact on my life. I can’t simply say, because of her, I did X, Y and Z, in my life.  Sadie was always there for me. She was the cuddly, furry friend who would comfort me when I was sad, and the soothing purr that I needed to wake up to each morning.

Anatole France, a French poet,  once said, “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” Sadie’s love and companionship will always be irreplaceable.