Sports in Brief

UCI Water Polo loses to USC Again

Eighth ranked UC Irvine suffered a tough 7-4 loss against the top-ranked USC in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Opener on Saturday. The ’Eaters are now 8-4 overall and 0-1 in the MPSF. Mitch Wise led the team with three goals and Junior Jimmy Friedrich managed to grab 14 saves. UCI wasn’t able to tie the game after being down 3-1 in the first period. The ’Eaters came close to narrowing the gap in the second period when they were down 3-2 and in the third period when they were losing 4-3. The ’Eaters will play their next game in the SoCal Tournament at Long Beach State this upcoming weekend against UC Davis at 9:20 a.m.

Volleyball Drop two Thrillers

UCI had a heartbreaking weekend as they dropped two 5-set games against University of Pacific and UC Davis. On Friday, the Anteaters were unable to hold back UOP after blowing a 2-0 lead. The Tigers showed their resilience against the Anteaters after losing the first two sets 21-25 by rallying back in a tight 26-24 set and dominating 25-10. In the final set, the Tigers finished it off 15-10 to cap off their coming-from-behind rally.

On Saturday, the Anteaters pushed the UC Davis Aggies to five sets, only to be defeated 3-2. After falling in the first set 17-25, UCI came back by winning two sets 25-18 in both. The Aggies shook off the deficit by winning the next set and finishing them off 15-9 in the final set.

UCI is now 5-7 overall and 0-2 in the Big West. Their next game will be at San Diego against University of San Diego on Friday at 7 p.m.

Steven Melena places 42nd  at Stanford Invitational

Sophomore Steven Melena led the UC Irvine Men’s Cross Country team at the 38th annual Stanford University Invitational Saturday. Melena was placed 42nd overall with a time of 24 minutes, 52 seconds. UCI finished 11th out of 28 teams with 317 points.

UCI senior Melissa Mead led the Anteaters with a time of 22:12, finishing 69th overall out of 278 runners. UCI finished 22nd out of 32 teams with a total of 607 points.

The Anteaters will run again next Saturday in the Bill Dellinger Invitational at Springfield, Ore.