Sports In Brief

Women’s Soccer Falters on Road to Big West Opponents

UC Irvine’s women’s soccer team tied the Aggies 2-2 at UC Davis on Friday afternoon. The two teams traded goals early as senior forward Lexi Kopf netted her sixth score of the season in the 24th minute to put Irvine up 1-0. Davis countered quickly, scoring in the 28th minute. Freshman Jenna Pellegrino scored the first goal of her college career just before halftime, taking a pass from Natalia Ledezma and heading it in to put UCI up 2-1.

To start off the second half, goalkeeper Jennifer Randazzo relinquished the team’s lead again in the 47th minute. But the game tightened up tied at two. Both teams defended their nets well as Randazzo recorded 10 saves and her counterpart tidied up five of the ’Eaters’ seven shots on goal. After 110 minutes of play, the two teams departed with 0-0-1 records in conference.

The Anteaters lost to the Pacific Tigers on Oct. 2 in Stockton. Pacific jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 24th minute, but senior defender CoCo Goodson responded for the ’Eaters in the 39th minute, notching her third goal of the season. In the 68th minute, Lexi Kopf added yet another goal for her seventh score of the season. Kopf took a pass from Zuri Walker and headed it in to give the Anteaters the lead. Once again against Pacific, Randazzo and the Anteaters’ defense failed to hold onto a 2-1 second-half lead, giving up a Tigers goal in the 75th minute. In overtime, the Anteaters gave up a game-winning goal in the 96th minute, losing 3-2. UCI is now 0-1-1 in conference and 7-3-2 overall.

Women’s Volleyball Swept at USD

At the University of San Diego on Sept. 29, UCI’s women’s volleyball team lost their third straight road match. Swept by the Toreros, UCI lost 25-17, 25-23, 25-16. Sophomore setter Mary Carls had 59 sets, junior libero Kristen Winkler contributed 21 digs and sophomore opposite hitter Aly Squires registered 12.5 points – all team-highs.

Irvine is now 5-8 and is scheduled to face Long Beach State, Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara at home this week.