Athletes Prepare for Shock

Courtesy of Alex Yee

Shocktoberfest 2010 was highlighted by a dunk from the men’s head basketball coach, Russell Turner. At 6 feet 7 inches, the coach proved that he still had hops leftover from his playing days at Hampden-Sydney, where he was a two-time collegiate All-American in 1991 and 1992.

“Last year’s dunk was planned and there’s no plan for this year,” Turner said. “That was fun, but this is a whole new season and I am excited for all of our returning and young players. But you never know … It’s been a while though, and I don’t need an injury.”
Last year Darren Moore won his second-straight slam dunk contest at Shocktoberfest, an event that is held in the Bren Events Center every year. Moore has graduated, but this year, 6-foot-9-inch freshman forward Will Davis is a likely favorite in Friday night’s 2011 Midnight Magic, which kicks off the 2011-12 NCAA basketball season.
Along with the slam dunk contest, the men’s and women’s basketball teams will compete in a 3-point battle-of-the-sexes shootout. The women’s team looks to defend their title with sophomore Jacquelyn Marshall and senior Kassandra McCalister expected to headline Coach Molly Goodenbour’s squad. On the men’s side, expect junior Mike Wilder and freshman Collin Woods to compete and attempt to restore their sex’s respect in the annual competition.
“It’s fun and will hopefully be a highlight show,” Turner said.
Although the expected artists at the sixth annual Shocktoberfest have been kept hushed, the event has attracted Shwayze, Gym Class Heroes, Three Six Mafia and Cali Swag District in recent years.
The first 4,800 undergraduate UC Irvine students are eligible to attain one free ticket online at: www.asuci.uci.edu/shocktoberfest. In addition, undergraduates have the option to acquire a guest ticket for $20. Graduate students are eligible for $20 tickets to the event. But in order to obtain tickets, active students must select the tickets link on ASUCI’s Shocktoberfest website and follow the registration process.
“It’s a fun way to kick off the new season,” Marshall said, “and we love the school support.”
“Shocktoberfest is our celebration with the students and means the beginning of a new season and a new journey for [UCI basketball],” Turner added. “It is an outstanding event and shows all of us the support that can be possible for our team. It’s exciting to feel the energy of all the students packed into the Bren and it reminds us what makes college ball so special.”