News In Brief

“Main Street UCI” Exhibit Shows Daily Campus Life

The Irvine Fine Arts Center is currently featuring photographic works of anthropology professor emeritus Frank Cancian. A cultural and social window into daily life on campus, this gallery features pictures of common yet lively sights on the UC Irvine campus, and it includes images of homecoming rallies to campus evangelists seeking converts.

The exhibit will be divided into four categories around the themes of Protests, God, Along the Street, and Play and Performance. Cancian taught at UCI for over 23 years, and his work has included photographic works in fascinating places from communities in the Chiapas Highlands to the farms of Italian Lacedonia.  Now, UCI’s own Ring Road is a part of his extensive work. The public opening of Cancian’s exhibit took place on September 30th at the Irvine Fine Arts Center, and the exhibit is scheduled to remain open until October 29th.

New Living Peace Series Contests Stereotypes

The Center for Living Peace, Southern California PBS and UC Irvine present a preview and panel discussion of “Women, War and Peace,” a new five-part television series challenging the conventional idea that war is men’s domain. The event will take place on Thursday, Oct. 13 at 7 p.m. in the Student Center’s Pacific Ballroom.

Academy Award winner Geena Davis, UCI associate professor of anthropology and film and media studies Roxanne Varzi, and documentary filmmaker Abigail Disney were all involved with the series and will speak in the panel.

Orange County Center for Living Peace Founder Kelly Smith will moderate the discussion. Tickets are free for all students, faculty and staff and can be reserved on ZotPortal. All other tickets can be purchased for $8 on the Living Peace Series website.

UCI’s Brand New ROTC Program Open to All

UC Irvine’s first ever Reserved Officers’ Training Corps has now been established in consistence with the recent repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in September.

UCI’s campus policies prohibit any form of discrimination against race, gender and sexuality along with other conditions as listed. As is consistent with these policies, UCI’s new ROTC program will allow students of all backgrounds to participate in developing leadership skills and ethics alongside fellow students and cadets.

Librarians and Lecturers Receive New Benefits

The University of California announced a tentative three-year agreement with the American Federation of Teachers union last week that would give several benefits to many of the University’s librarians and lecturers.

If the agreement goes into effect, librarians and lecturers would be able to participate in the one-time merit-based salary increase for the 2011-12 school year.

In addition to being eligible for the salary increase, lecturers would also be able to pay the same rates for health care benefits as tenured faculty and non-represented faculty.

The University expects to receive results of the union ratification vote by Oct. 15.

The agreement would run through Sept. 30, 2014 if ratified by the union.

Biologists Awarded by International Honor Society

The Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society honored three members of UC Irvine’s School of Biological Sciences for scholarly accomplishment. Matthew J. Korn was granted Sigma Xi’s Fresh Faces award, while Francisco J. Ayala and Marlene de la Cruz were recognized as Distinguished Members. Korn, a graduate student, was selected for his work in the Dr. Karina Cramer laboratory in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior dealing with neuron-glia interactions. Cruz was celebrated for her achievments as associate director of  biological sciences outreach, research training and minority science programs. Ayala, a University and Donald Bren professor, has merited several awards for his successes in the scientific field, including the 2010 Templeton Prize, the 2000 William Procter Prize for Scientific Achievement, and the 2001 National Medal Of Science.

Established in 1886, Sigma Xi is a world-renowned honor society that aims to cultivate innovation in the scientific field. members only by invitation. Former members include over 200 Nobel laureates, some as well-known as Albert Einstein, Francis Crick, James Watson and Linus Pauling. Currently, one can only become a member by invitation.

Through its work, Sigma Xi hopes to found recognition within the general public for the impact of scientific research on humanity as a whole.

Surgical Director Granted Prestigious Achievement Award

UC Irvine’s Dr. Mark E. Linskey was recently awarded the Congress of Neurological Surgeons’ Distinguished Service Award in honor of his accomplishments and work in neurosurgery.

Linskey was named the 31st recipient of this prestigious award on Oct. 4. He was given this honor due to his advocacy and organizational efforts as the surgical director of UC Irvine Medical Center’s Comprehensive Brain Tumor Program.

When it comes to receiving honorable awards, this director is not in unfamiliar territory. Linskey was named one of “America’s Top Doctors for Cancer” by Castle Connolly, and has been named an “Orange County Medical Association Physician for Excellence in Neurosurgery” every year since 2006.

Additionally, Linskey helped develop multidisciplinary stereotactic radiosurgery and skull base surgery programs.