UCI Takes Tourney, Loses at Home

UCI 21, Whittier 4
Ranked 7th, UC Irvine opened up their Saturday at the Convergence Tournament with an overwhelming 21-4 victory over Whittier College. The Anteaters were able to shake off the tough 9-6 loss against UCSB last weekend as Alan Robertson, Mitch Wise, and Trent Baxter scored three goals each to help UCI improve to an 11-6 record. Max Parrague, Derrik Jarvis, Jacob Mourer and Kyle Adama also contributed two goals each. Eleven different Anteaters scored in the game.
Jimmy Friedrich played between the posts in the first half and managed to nab five saves. However, while UCI was routing Whittier with 12 goals in the first half, Friedrich unfortunately conceded four goals. Coach Marc Hunt switched off goalies, placing Alex Kazmier in the second half, and UCI continued to overwhelm the Whittier defense by scoring six goals while conceding none. Kazmier pulled off four stops in the second half, ensuring the win.
UCI 19, Occidental College 1
Coach Marc Hunt earned his 100th career victory as a coach thanks to UCI’s 19-1 domination over Occidental college at the Convergence Tournament. Mitch Wise tied his career high with six goals while Max Parrague and Trent Bacter nabbed three goals apiece. Jacob Mourer and Blake Terry also scored two goals each as UCI improved to a 12-6 record.
Michael Bailey and Alex Kazmier shared playing time in the goalkeeper position, and Bailey managed to block five shots in the first half while Kazmier denied four in the second. Occidental’s only goal came in the second period.
UCI 6, UCLA 18
UCI struggled to decipher the Bruins defense as they fell to third-ranked UCLA 18-6 at home. UCLA did a solid job in frustrating UCI’s attack as the ’Eaters were limited to one goal each in the second, third and fourth periods. Mitch Wise led UCI in scoring with two goals as Trent Baxter, Brian Pickford, Max Parrague and Sam Figueroa also contributed a goal apiece.
UCI managed to score the first goal of the game to lead 1-0 and later recaptured the lead through a Mitch Wise penalty to make it 2-1. However, UCLA scored three consecutive goals and by the end of the first period, they led 5-2. UCI then got overwhelmed in the next three periods, conceding five goals in the second period and eight goals through the next two periods.
“We’ve got to improve as a team collectively in all facets of the game,” said Coach Marc Hunt. “If we want to deal with the top contending teams in the country, we’ve got to improve everything.”