Sports In Brief

Men Soccer Trumps UCR, Falls to Creighton
UCI Men’s Soccer routed UCR on the road with a 5-1 victory on Wednesday night. The five goals came from Miguel Ibarra, Christian Hernandez, Norby Rodriguez and Christopher Santana, and they were helped by a bizarre own goal from a throw-in that was deflected by a UCR midfielder. Hernandez and Santana each recorded an assist as well. The win maintained UCI’s dominance in the Big West with a 4-1 record.
On Saturday night, UCI travelled to Omaha to face off against fourth-ranked Creighton, only to lose 3-1 with the lone goal coming from a Jimmy Turner header. Ethan Finlay of Creighton pulled off a hat trick with two headers and a breakaway feed that he launched into the back of the net. UCI is now 12-3 overall and will return home this Wednesday to play UC Davis.
UCI Sweeps UCR, gets blownout by CSUN
The women’s volleyball team ran over UCR in three sets thanks to a career-high five blocks from Taylor Smith and 10 kills by Aly Squires. Shaina Olsen contributed eight kills and eight digs.
On Saturday, fortune turned around for the ’Eaters as CSUN swept UCI. Aly Squires logged in nine kills while Shaina Olsen killed seven. UCI never led until the third set when they edged out a 23-22 lead. However, at 24-24, a CSUN kill and UCI ball-handling error cost them the match.
UCI is now 2-5 in the Big West and 7-11 overall.
Cross Country at Top in CSUN Invitational
The men’s Cross Country team raced to first place as freshman Matt Neev led the UCI with an eighth-place finish at 26:06.96. Fellow ’Eater Rex Nelson finished right behind at ninth place. A total of five Anteaters finished within the top 15 to help UCI win the title with 50 points.
Women’s Cross Country finished third at the CSUN invitational. Melissa Mead led the team as she finished sixth in 22:06.93, while Kaycee Holcomb finished ninth as Chloe Fata followed right behind. UCI finished with 92 points.