89

UCI Acknowledges Domestic Violence Awareness Month

The month of October has been nationally recognized as Dating and Domestic Violence Awareness Month. In conjunction with the CARE office on campus, UC Irvine Athletics hoped to raise awareness of the cause last week. Fans were encouraged to wear purple laces and donate old cellphones to the Verizon Wireless Hopeline Cell Phone Drive. Those who donated phones received complementary admission to the sponsored games. Athletes also showed their support by donning purple laces as well.

Karate Tournament Scheduled for Nov. 5 at ARC

The Nihon Karate Club at UC Irvine will host a collegiate karate tournament on the basketball courts at the Anteater Recreation Center at 10 a.m. on Nov. 5. Several schools are expected to compete, including: UC San Diego and the University of Southern California. UCI won the tournament in 2010.

Pestolesi to host ‘Dig Pink’ at Irvine Valley College

Irvine Valley College’s women’s volleyball coach Tom Pestolesi, father of former Anteater Kari Pestolesi, is hosting a charity volleyball match at 6 p.m. on Oct. 28 at IVC’s gymnasium. Known as “Dig Pink,” the Orange Empire Conference match will pit IVC against Golden West College with proceeds going toward the Side-Out Foundation, which raises awareness for breast cancer research nationwide through volleyball matches, clinics and camps, during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

$5 donations will be collected at the door. Fans will receive a pink T-shirt courtesy of ASICS and a pink spray cleaner from Simple Green.

Ledezma Named Big West Player of Week Again

Natalia Ledezma has made herself right at home on UCI’s women’s soccer team. The UCLA transfer was named the Big West Player of the Week for the second time this season on Oct. 17. At press time, Ledezma had team-highs with eight goals and six assists.