160

If you have access to the Internet and haven’t been hiding under a rock for the past week, you have probably heard that Ms. Reality-star socialite herself, Kim Kardashian, filed for divorce from her NBA “star” husband Kris Humphries the morning of Monday, Oct. 31. After merely 72 days of marriage, the wedding that cost $10 million to produce reportedly earned Kim millions in return. The wedding that produced so much commotion in the entertainment world, and was even compared to Prince William and Kate Middleton’s royal wedding came to a screeching halt.

But in all of the chaos of this “Kim Kardashian mayhem week,” I couldn’t help but notice fans and observers commenting on Kim’s business-savvy ways and admiring how she handles her money. Now, she may very well have racked up her earnings and walked away without an emotional bruise, but people are ignoring that this publicity stunt of a marriage is making a mockery of the meaning behind marriage and can only inevitably bring up a bit of controversy. I, personally, think that this disgrace of a marriage is a slap in the face to those in the United States who want to share the unity of marriage, but simply cannot because they are of the same sex.

It amazes me that over the past 10 years, our world has transformed and advanced in so many ways but gays and lesbians are still restricted from simply wanting to live the lives they want.

Heterosexuality is perpetuated as “the norm” in the United States and all over the world; demonstrating that a marriage between anyone besides a man and a woman is blatantly unjust, unacceptable to the public and impairing the institution of marriage. But what has the institution of marriage become when someone like Kim Kardashian has a 72-day marriage fluke and gives “irreconcilable differences” as an explanation for divorce? It is a selfish act for desperate attention that completely defiles the meaning of marriage; which I thought was intended to represent love and unity between two people, but apparently is just an aid to make you even richer!

Now I am entirely aware that despite many observers agreeing that publicity stunt marriages are a scandal and a complete waste of money, there are still many out there who do not condone homosexuality and gay/lesbian marriages. I have never understood why anyone else’s marriage but the one an individual is actually in, concerns the public, but, here we are. This “issue” will more than likely be up for debate for ages to come for a multitude of reasons.

First, and probably most commonly debated are the religious views and prohibitions of gay/lesbian marriage. An eternally-sensitive debate between sex and religion can never come to a precise consensus, and is therefore an endless battle.

Secondly, there are those who worry that marriages are for raising children and gay unions would disrupt that process entirely. Yes, of course it is true that it takes a man and a woman to biologically produce a child, but people act as though the wonderful act of adoption doesn’t exist; unless that is also considered “disrupting the institution of raising children.”

Sure, Kim’s “fairytale wedding” was a pretty piece of work with elegant gowns, fancy food and tables full of celebrity guests, it was undoubtedly no more than another clever business plan, which ultimately succeeded in puling the wool over the public’s eyes. But while Kim Kardashian gets away with a Hollywood scandal, there are still many people all over the country craving the ability to legally wed for something as simple as love.

Evan Luke is fourth-year film and media studies major. She can be reached at eluke@uci.edu.