Sports in Brief

UCI Edges Cal Poly to Win Big West Regular Season Title

UCI Men’s Soccer (14-5-1) captured a much-needed victory over Cal Poly on Nov. 1 to finish the Big West regular season in first place. The first-place finish gives UCI home field advantage in the Big West Tournament.

Senior Miguel Ibarra scored the game-winning goal in the 56th minute after receiving a pass from senior Christian Hernandez and beating out the Mustang’s goalkeeper. Senior goalkeeper Andrew Fontein recorded five saves for his eighth shutout of the season and the 28th of his career.

UC Irvine will face UC Riverside in the Big West Semifinals on Wednesday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. The Anteaters crushed the Highlanders on the road in their first encounter 5-0 but lost a 3-2 shocker at home in their second matchup.

’Eaters Trounce Concordia to Wrap Up Exhibition Series

UC Irvine won their exhibition against Concordia University on Nov. 3 at home with ease as four players scored in double-digits.

Sophomore Jasmine Bernard scored 19 points, going 9-13 from the floor, and grabbed a team-best nine rebounds while freshman Methlyn Onogomuho made 14 points.

Junior Anete Klintsone had 12 points and five assists and sophomore Kelly Meggs added 10 points along with two assists and two steals.

Concordia jumped to a 9-2 lead in the beginning of the half, but the Anteaters regained their focus and outscored Concordia 41-8 to finish the first half with a 43-17 lead.

UCI made 18-32 field goals in the first 20 minutes, while Concordia shot an atrocious 6-23, including 0-7 from the 3-point range.

The Anteaters controlled the entire second half. Although Concordia scored seven straight points to narrow UCI’s lead 46-26, that was just as close as the Eagles would ever get to catching up.

In the end, UCI made 54.8 (34-62) percent of their shots and made 5-15 of their 3-pointers to cap off a dominant showing.

Irvine will open up their regular season on the road against Portland State on Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.