Senior Night Spoiled by CSUN

David Conley/New University

CSUN 3, UCI 1

Senior Night ended on a somber note for UC Irvine’a women’s volleyball team (10-17). UCI lost a tough, four-set match against Cal State Northridge in their final home game of the regular season at the Bren Events Center on Nov. 11. The Matadors completed their first season sweep of UCI since 2001. Irvine is now 4-10 in the Big West.

Sophomore Aly Squires led with a match-high 14 kills, while junior Kristen Winkler had 23 digs. Sophomore Mary Carls had a big night, posting a double-double with 23 assists and 15 digs.

UCI was able to take an 8-5 lead in the first set after three consecutive aces from Winkler. However, the Matadors responded with an eight-point rally, including four aces from Sydney Gedryn. The ’Eaters were able to trim the deficit to one, at 17-16, and later pulled out a four-point rally to take a 20-18 lead. CSUN later tied the set at 22 apiece, but a kill from sophomore Shannon Fleming and a CSUN error  gave UCI a 24-22 lead. Fleming and senior Alexandra Hauser then recorded a set-winning block.

From there it was all downhill for the Anteaters.  The Matadors opened up a 11-5 lead in the second set. CSUN took the set 25-18.

UCI kept a close lead in the third at 11-9, but after CSUN scored five consecutive points, the Matadors never looked back. Leading 15-13, CSUN managed to score four out of the next six points to take a 19-15 lead. A kill by CSUN’s Mahina Haina capped off the third set as CSUN took a 25-20 victory.

The Matadors dominated throughout the fourth set. CSUN’s largest lead was 12 points (20-8). They wrapped up the blowout, 25-12.

UCR 3, UCI 1

UC Riverside defeated UCI  for the first time since 2005 on Nov. 9. In a disappointing effort, Squires converted 15 out of 35 kill attempts, while freshman Arielle Manz had seven kills of her own.

UCR went on a five-point rally with three kills and two blocks to improve from a 19-19 tie to a 24-19 lead in the first set.  Highlander Amanda Vialpando scored the final point to win the first set for UCR.

The ’Eaters started the second set with a 9-7 lead. They then went rallied off three points with two blocks, pushing their lead to five UCI went on to win the set 25-19.

Several UCI unforced errors gave Riverside an 11-5 advantage early in the third set.. UCI fought back, scoring seven out of the next 10 points, to come within two. But the Highlanders held on for a25-18 win.

UCR then dominated the final set, winning 25-15.